Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a Switch - couple of questions..

Options
  • 01-05-2023 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I haven't been much of a gamer in the last few years,but have been considering buying a Switch as a convenient console that won't take over much, if any, space.

My main questions are is it still worth getting one, as they've been out a good few years, and I dunno,maybe an updated similar machine is coming out soon.

Also, I feel like there are lots more child friendly games rather than anything that caters to an older audience. Would I be wrong in saying that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

There probably will be a Switch 2 in a couple of years but nothing has been announced. Even if a new console is released you could always trade it towards the new one.

There are thousands of games for all audiences on the eshop

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Really it depends on what kind of games you are looking for. Your best bet is to spend a bit of time looking at the Metacritic Top Games list and see how many of those you think you'd want to play.

The only thing I would say is, if you're not sure you'd find it worthwhile, consider buying physical rather than digital games so you can sell them on if you want to.

If you play more 3rd party non-Nintendo games then I would say skip Switch and go Steam Deck if the hybrid model appeals to you.

But if it’s Nintendo games you’re after then now is as good a time as any to pick up a Switch given it’s huge catalogue of amazing games.

You might be able to score a second hand Switch on the cheap from someone upgrading to a Tears of the Kingdom OLED.

If you haven’t picked up a Switch by now, are you really going to pick up a potential successor any time soon after it releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Thanks all for the comments. To be honest I looked at the Steam also, but it seems pretty expensive for what is probably not as well established a brand as Nintendo.

I'm not really a Nintendo head per se, but just felt like it was the best handheld machine out there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

One thing to bear in mind with the Steam Deck is that if the game you want to play is on Steam and the Nintendo eShop, it is guaranteed that the base price will be higher on the eShop i.e. you'll pay more for the same game on the Switch than on Steam Deck.

IMO the best reason to buy any given Nintendo platform is for the Nintendo first party titles. If you don't care about them, choose the hardware that best suits you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Steam deck you can play pretty much any aaa game that's multi plat (some old playstation exclusives as well) and can sign up for xbox gamepass of you want and use that.

You can also emulate pretty much any console with playing (switch too but of course you need to own the switch games for that)

I have pretty much every console and steam deck gets played daily, switch only exists in the house as waiting for new zelda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Thanks. At this rate I'm veering towards the Steam deck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

As Fysh above says - the only reason to get a Switch is for Nintendo first party titles. Otherwise the Steam Deck is better in every way - more powerful hardware, bigger screen, access to a ridiculous amount of games via Steam, Epic, Origin, Game Pass which will be cheaper than their Switch versions too. It's also brilliant for emulation if that's something you might dabble in down the line. Not to mention it can act like a mini pc if you hook it up to a monitor, kb & mouse. Just had a look on Steam and it's out of stock atm except for the top model, folks must be snapping them up still.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HotWaterCylinder

I had slipped away from gaming for a few years but got a switch at Christmas (wanted to play zelda Botw).

Few of my mates have steam decks and no doubt they are better but I wanted to avoid the distractions of PC games (I've always been a PC gamer historically).

Too many games, too many mods, games not working etc I just don't have time for it anymore. I want to pick up and play without distraction (inc web browser)

Since Christmas I've finished more games than I have in the last 5 years (3 ,nearly 4).

One of my mates told me he was sitting on the couch with a mouse and keyboard plugged into his steamdeck before asking himself wtf he was doing!

The cost of games is annoying but it definitely makes you choose wisely (unlike my 300+ steam catalogue), battery life is good too.

Advertisement