Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on good mobile network?

Options
  • 02-05-2023 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1 matuni

Hey!

I'm currently signed up to Tesco Mobile and I own a Google Pixel 6a and a Pixel 3a, but I've always had problems with getting proper internet on the phone.

I live in Lucan, but anywhere I go in Dublin I have the same problem. Often have very slow internet on the phone or none at all to the point where I almost avoid using internet while disconnected to a Wifi network. This happens with both phones which leads me to think the problem has to be with Tesco. The problem has gotten worse and worse throughout the years and I've been with Tesco for about 5 years.

Anyway, question is: can anyone recommend a proper network with proper internet coverage?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Depends on how much you want to spend.

Look at comreg coverage map for starters. Do you have a 5G phone.

Vodafone/PM is one options, Eir/gomo is other. If Tesco is not working, then three prob won't suit either

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

Tesco mobile are renowned to have problems with internet. I would move away from Tesco asap.

If you're looking at reliability and speed , I would go with Three or Vodafone. Three are much more affordable than Vodafone.

Also, have a look at 48. I'm with them and I have no issues, very fast and reliable.

• Honestly can’t say a bad word about Gomo even though they’re Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭mobby

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Eir has been grand for me. If Eir is a no-go for you, I recommend VF after Eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fudgequeen

keep away from 48 they stole 30 euro from my credit card , 2 months later still not returned it, also does not work abroad or uk, friend an i tried 48 instructions on how to work abroad numerous times and does not work, had no problems with speed or working here at home in ireland.

• I have had bad experiences with Eir's customer care for fixed broadband, but I honestly have to say I've found their customer care (which is all DIY or via live chat) on Gomo is really solid. I have had no issues at all. Price is good. Speed is excellent. Coverage is rapidly improving and very solid and I had zero issues roaming in France.

Also if it's relevant to you, their WiFi calling is completely open and non-geoblocked, unlike Vodafone. So, when you're abroad, you can just use it on WiFi. I had no issue with it in the US for example, which was really handy.

Vodaofone's fine, but rather pricey for what it is.

3 always seemed lower tech and more likely to be clogged than the other two and most of the MVNOs, except An Post (Vodafone) and Gomo (Eir) seem to hang off 3's network.

Gomo is really more of a sub-brand than a MVNO. For all intents and purposes it is basically Eir's max SIM only plan with a different logo. The APNs, voicemail, roaming, WiFi calling etc are all exactly the same as the main eir mobile brand. I can't see any differences at all other than the billing system is frankly easier to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I think gomo is the business. Run 4 of them on the original 9.99 plan

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd advise going on to the ComReg coverage map, put in your house or whever coverage is most important to you, some areas can have poor coverage of one main network and perfect with the others. I've found the results have been a true experience of real world experience for me.

https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map

• No contract with Gomo either. If it doesn't work well, you're down 14 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Are you using a dedicated Tesco SIM. Someone said when they got a new SIM from Tesco the signal problems went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Does VoLTE work in the USA like Vodafone? Or does Eir still depend on limited edge for voice calls when not on wifi?

• Can't remember but VoLTE definitely worked in Europe

Advertisement