Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council tenants allowed rent out rooms for up to €14,000 a year tax-free

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No it doesn't feel right at all. Why do council tenants have spare rooms that they can rent out? Council accommodation should be provided as needed. If they have spare rooms they are getting more than they require and that property should be allocated to a larger family.

Nothing in this country that has any government involvement makes any sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Haha. That's hilarious. But completely unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

This thread will be locked soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

Its not the tenents fault that they end up in a 3 or 4 bed house affter the kids grow up and leave home. The local authorities need a system where tenents are house and moved according to their need. Realistically this needs huge resources, and a lot more 1 and 2 bed council apartments. I cant see such a system implemented for at least 15 years or more.

I dont think there will be a massive uptake by tenants (with spare rooms) in council houses as -- 1. If they really wanted to rent a room say to a mate or relative for cash on the quiet, they are already be doing it. -- 2. Most don't want a stranger in their house for various reasons. --3. A high number are doing work for cash already so dont need the money eg. Child minding, pet sitting, cleaning, taxi, etc..

Ps. I think this topic should move to Current Affairs/IMHO perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

So they get a free house or as good as, and can now pocket an extra 14k from it ? Welcome to Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Absolutely disgraceful these council tenants should be thrown out forthwith and put into a 1 bed and forced to work 12 hours a day breaking stones for their dole money.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Well that is fine in theory but there would be all hell breaking loose if you tried to actually do it. A family in a house 20 or 30 years and now the parents getting older, and some beaurocrat swans in trying to kick them out into a granny flat. Imagine it. they will be getting every parish pump councillor, TD and PBP nut on their case, and getting emotionaly write ups in local and national rags, and local radio whinging that they spent 30 years or whatever making the place a home and now in their golden years the council are kicking them out into a tiny flat miles from the community they lived in for decades.

Whats more, a lot of council tenancies are inheritable.

To go doing this on a national scale just wouldn't fly politically. The politicians would not have it as opposing it would be a good vote getter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They were saying soon radio this morning that this may help house 28,000 people. That is pie in the sky stuff if they think anywhere near that will happen.

Dublin city has loads of dilapidated flats that could be renovated for empty nesters. It is nonsense that the taxpayer funds income generating properties for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

That is grant looking at the numbers, but I doubt too many empty nesters who have invested a lot of effort and money in making a home in one house, will be too enthusiastic about moving into a small flat with nowhere near the amenities of where they currently live.

It would be a socially negative move as you would more than likely be extracting people from their community and plonking them somewhere else. At a time in life when they might not be as able to get around as easily as in their younger years.

It is ageism is what it is.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,463 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As ideas go, it's not a bad one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Well, aside from the clear exaggerations, you're not too far off them mark. It is disgraceful for a council tenant to be in a property surplus to their needs. So, a single person, or a couple with 1 minor in a 2 bed apartment is fine, but the same people in a 3 bed house is surplus to their needs. The latter situation should be placed into the former and free up the additional space for those needing it. Council properties should not be homes, they should be accommodation suitable to the needs of the person/people in a family unit. That's what the tade-off off for practically free housing should be.

Any able bodied person on welfare should be put to work. Lifetime dolers have a negative impact on society as they are drains and leeches. They should be making some contribution, like the rest of us mugs. If that means breaking stones for roads, then let them at it. Better than their spawn breaking windows with stones.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭RonanG86

They 'think' that 14,000 - 28,000 houses are under occupied (shouldn't they know this?), that's where the figure is coming from. If 1,000 of them went for it voluntarily or were in a financial position where this was worthwhile I'd be surprised. Total nonsense. And if poor old John & Mary accidentally rent to a scumbag who causes massive ASB in the estate, and resists attempts to evict them. Is that their fault? Do they get the call from the HLO?

As for "WHY ARE THERE UNDEROCCUPIED COUNCIL HOUSES!? DISGRACE!", it's because most Councils are suffering from a worse shortage of smaller 1 & 2 bed units than family 3+ bed units. This wasn't a problem in years gone by because people could just rent privately until they settled down, but now that option is out.

You want to downsize John & Mary now that their kids have moved out, and they're open to the idea, chances are what you'll do is take a 1 or 2 bed from a single individual or single parent who's been waiting for 5+ years and have a 3 bed that'll go to a family who's been waiting for 2-3 years (expand waiting times for Dublin or areas with low supply - but you get the gist).

Evictions are not difficult for a rent a room to be fair. You just change the locks and send them a text while they are out. If they try to reenter the property it is breaking and entering and the Gardai will (or should) deal with it.

Just for comparison a marginal rate tax payer would need a pay increase of €29,167 to get €14k into their hand like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Around 2008 Dublin Council banned bedsits. A few of my mates were in them, and while they werent great, some were actually quite cosy, and a cheap place to live. I was paying 700 quid in a house share and my friend had a bedsit around the corner for 300. Since the ban, I have to ask, where did they go? They didn't disappear off the face of the earth. They do still exist surely?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on the first question - what happens if someone moves out of a council house their parents live in? that might free up a room; and you'd hardly evict a family for the sake of that spare room?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd be curious how many adults living at home with their parents will now become tenants. I can't see it making any impact on those genuinely homeless and surely if they did claim to have space they're marking themselves as being in a house larger than their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PierreLeCake

I can't see it making a huge difference to homelessness but at this stage every little helps. If you are a Council tenant who is willing to rent a spare room chances are it was being done anyway although probably not been declared to Revenue just like as a lot of private homeowners.€14,000 a year tax-free sounds great but unless you are really squeezing tenants in to small council houses the chances are its just one room being rented out so at €500 -600 a month a tenant would really just be earning €6000 - €7200. You also have to live with a random stranger and as someone who has house shared in the past that can be a big headache depending on who you get. This rent money would tend to trickle back in to the economy rather than going abroad to Vulture funds.

Its also clever politically. I suspect most people in council houses vote Sein Fein and now here is the Government giving them free money so to speak.

I just wish the government would move a lot faster on doing something for small time landlords. I have to pay 51% tax on my rental income with all the attending bureaucracy on rental income that's only a few thousand more than the €14,000 rent a room scheme.

If Sein Fein come in to power I expect to see many more private landlords leave as they plan to bring in an eviction ban, force lower rents and do away with selling your house as a reason to evict tenants. Its only going to get worse for renters I am afraid

Eviction is a very emotive word and is not what should happen. It is giving people accomodation to suit their needs. In an ideal system there would be step up and step down properties depending on what stage people are at in their lives. By your logic a grandmother living on her own could theoretically have a 5 bed house funded by the taxpayers?

@LambshankRedemption the bedsit ban wasn't thought out very well. All it did was remove units from the market. The current standards (while well meaning and appropriate in a functioning market) are not much use to someone who cannot find a property.

I genuinely worry about the ability of this country to do anything is a manner that isn't massively wasteful. The solution to every problem is to throw money at it until the problem is not in the media anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I presume their council rent will increase too? Haha. So if you are getting the dole for example you could potentially now get an extra 270 quid a week on top of that.

We are truly fucked. A total of 25 rentals available in the county of Kildare today. (Daft) House prices are through the roof and it's not in the sectors interests to build more houses and sell them for less profit. The supply and demand thing is a myth when it comes to the irish housing market. Builders and trades are only interested in gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Very few adults living with parents, I would imagine, would become tenants under the scheme since there would be little advantage to doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

By your logic a grandmother living on her own could theoretically have a 5 bed house funded by the taxpayers?

i mentioned one spare room, not five, so that was not my logic.

but let's run with the idea. say you've a family, three kids two years apart in age each, living in a council house. it's feasible (that in a properly functioning housing market) that the occupancy of that house could drop by 3 over five years as each kid reaches a certain age; what would a sensible housing official do? they're not going to ask the family to move house every time a kid moves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The answer will be in the fine print I guess but that's an obvious question alright. You could have a situation now where an adult child is living at home in local authority housing rent free which is fine as it goes. But under this scheme a) there might be an incentive to kick them out so as to monetise the room b) keep them but have the state subsidise their rent in some way.

The whole idea seems counter to the general concept of social housing and a kick in the teeth to those that scrimp and manage to buy their own gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

In the UK and across wider Europe, social housing tenants have adequate properties such as sheltered housing schemes, to downsize to. Not so here because there just wasn't any long term policy put in place to meet their needs, beyond giving them the house in the first place.

More short term thinking although what also hasn't helped is our cultural attachment to the house, rather than to the apartment, something that affects the private market as well as the social sector.

More tweaking here to help source any 'new' bedspaces. Desperate situations means desperate measures. How do the Councils even know who lives in their properties, do they even carry out tenancy audits?

The taxpayer is going to have to fund the building of all these step up step down properties you are talking about. it's pure fantasy land stuff the waiting lists are massive because of a shortage of social housing. It'll cost a hell of a lot more to build all these properties than it will to leave in auld one in a 4 bed until she dies.

This state has just recorded an 8 billion tax surplus its clear that the so - called dole scroungers are not having any effect on the tax take and the problem of social housing tenants and dole scroungers largely exists in the heads of a few lunatics who post here. I even managed to get people to agree with me that council tenants should break rocks for 12 hours a day ffs!

The problem with social housing in this country is that there isn't enough of it the societal benefits from social housing far outweigh the perceived negatives and I say this as someone with a mortgage in a suburban town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Councils & Corporations should be re accessing council houses every 2/3 years . If children have moved out etc parents should be relocated to smaller properties .

If the above was applied it would be a major help to housing crisis .

Its a bit mad people who never worked a day in thie lives have larger properties than they require in urban areas (for token rent ) whilst other people who work cant find anywhere to live.

No but I cannot see too many with kids thinking that renting a room to a stranger is a good idea.

To run with your family of 3 kids. What should they get when they have 1 child? Should they immediately be given a 3/4 bed in anticipation of more children or should they be given what they need until baby number 2 arrives? How about if they keep having children? Should they keep getting a bigger and bigger house as they have more and more?

There is definitely a discussion to be had on the topic as it is a massive expense and taxpayers are the ones funding it. It is way too emotive for any political party to take on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Over in England council tenants have to pay extra rent once the kids have flown the nest or else downsize into a smaller apartment.

In Ireland you can get 14k tax free instead, truly we are the land of milk and honey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

They won't touch it with a bargepole here... but in the UK or Germany etc, you don't have this social housing giveway / farce... if you are young, run out of this country as quick as you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Clearly on boards.ie you do because Council tenants are just cattle.

As I said up the page, leaving aside potentially asking people to leave their family home of 20+ years, what you'll do is fill up the 1 & 2 bed lists, which are longer than the 3+ bed lists in most areas, with downsizers. People will be waiting literally years to downsize and then at the expense of single people and single parents. Which would be fine if the private rented market wasn't a basketcase, but unfortunately it is.

In an 'ideal world', yeah people could effortlessly and quickly be moved between houses and it wouldn't be a big deal, but the housing market in Ireland is not an ideal world and hasn't been for donkeys years.

I'd also argue that in an ideal world John & Mary hanging on to a 3 bed built in the 1980s wouldn't matter, and even in our most unideal world, is really a minor thing compared with the consequences of literal decades of mismanagement from successive governments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement