Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile home living option

Options
  • 02-05-2023 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a family member who is looking into getting a mobile home as a place to live.

I'm aware of a handful of people who have done this and I'll talk to them when I get a chance but I said I'd throw the question to boards too.

We're out in the country side with no close neighbours. We could probably run the power and sewage to my house (Dug underground of course and its a short distance, sub 50m). My sewage is capable of accommodating the extra input. I don't know what these units cost nowadays. I guess there'd be something decent for 20k-30k? Ground works and sewage/electrical plugins another 5k-10k. Another 5k-10k to winter proof it. Planning is the question. We're far enough out of the way that it'd never be an issue but.... you never know.... Would planning even permit this kind of thing?

Round the whole thing up to 50k maybe? Unrealistic? Also... what are the realities of this kind of living situation?

Pointers/links to good sources of info or general advice welcome.

Cheers,

Fizzy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Plenty of threads here on this subject. Will need planning, unlikely to get it without a defined purpose and end date (usually applied for with planning permission for building/developing a property).

You won't get replies here telling you to break the planning law and put it up anyway (actually you probably will but they'll be deleted). I know there's a housing crisis but planning laws still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I suppose the home is mobile, so worst case you can move it or sell it.

Should be cheap enough to lay sewage and power to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Prices are about right ( we just replaced our one in Wexford, summer use only ). For year round living he’s need a wood burning stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Thanks for the replies lads!

Advertisement