Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old freight trucks, where are they now?

• 02-05-2023 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

So I grew up beside a railway in Raheny, Dublin.

I used to look out my bedroom window as trains passed and often noted the amount length and type of freight trains that passed by my house.

Longest trains had a consist of approx 20/25 wagons, and there was at least 1 or 2 trains that passed each day.

I am assuming that they carried the following : Kegs of Beer (Harp?), Ore, Ammonia (I used to think this was milk when I was a kid). Fertilizer (I think), Containers, Coal, (Others?)

There seemed to be a lot wagons and a good number of wagon types.

What happened to all of these wagons? Were they scrapped/does anyone know where they are?

The only freight I see nowadays (and its RARE) is the Ore train. Sometimes I see container trains at the dock, and there's a wood train in Mayo I think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You probably shaved with them this morning. All bar a tiny number have been scrapped.

Advertisement