Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indians in Irish club cricket

Options
  • 02-05-2023 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

This has the potential to be immediately disregarded as racist but hopefully it won't be seen as such, and obviously it certainly ain't. I'm out of cricket for about 4 years, played at a 1sts level in the uk for years before I came back to Ireland. I joined a club in Wicklow last year mostly for a social side, which was what I enjoyed about it mostly as a kid. I found it very underwhelming, almost certainly due to the fact that the club was 90% Indian. Some of these guys can play decently but there is no craic out of them. I talked to a couple of guys in bigger clubs and they said they saw the same thing. My best friend in cricket in the uk, funnily enough an Indian guy who played for Middlesex 2s, said basically the same thing happened in greater London.

I am not saying cricket needs to be Irish, that's obviously ridiculous, but the lack of social stuff at certain levels of cricket seems rough with 8 or 9 Indian guys in every team.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Despite your protestations, it comes very close to xenophobia. It’s legitimate, I think, to bemoan a club’s change in character when it becomes dominated by a new influx of members. But to dismiss a club as having no ‘craic’ because its players are predominantly Indian (and, one presumes, Pakistani) is just painfully ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

"I'm not a racist..... but there should be a quote on the number of indians that are allowed play cricket in ireland." 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I get what you are saying OP and no I do not think it is racist nor is it much specifically to do with cricket.

It is a clash of cultures whereby Indian and Irish sense of "craic" need not be the same thing. You are now entering an Indian dominated team rather than an Irish dominated and for better or worse there is a different dynamic. If you had been brought up in Indian culture you might think they are a great bunch. Equally what Irish people might see as "craic" can often be deemed insulting in other cultures. If you are interested in learning Indian culture then keep going. If you just want a laugh and a few beers then that might not be the place for you and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having either preference imo. Although some will cry racist/sexist where a personal preference is exerted I certainly wouldn't see it that way.

For comparison I interviewed for a position a few years ago where all of the other staff would have been Chinese. I didn't have the headspace to be an outsider in my place of work where the functional language would have been Mandarin so I turned it down. Some would say that this is racist but meh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

When i played years ago, the Indian members were allowed to host an Indian night at the club and there was never an invitation to the non Indian club members to attend. I would imagine an "irish night" ran in the same manner would provoke outrage.

Advertisement