Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misprice - Glitches

Options
  • 02-05-2023 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Quick Q, I am looking at something online (well mutiple items) from retailer that can be got very cheap. For example items rannging from 1k-8k, all can be got for under 150 due to glitch. I know they can cancel order as its within their terms etc. However once the items have been delivered, can the company sue you for the money etc?

I believe the contract is formed once you have paid and goods have been delivered. They can cancel upto delivery. After this there is nothing they can do. Can anyone confirm?

This is a large multinational company.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you know the price is a glitch / error and very obviously so and you seek to take advantage of that, that in itself is a criminal offence.

If you could show that you could reasonably believe the it was a special offer, then you'd have a defence that the contract was sealed at point of delivery.

So lets take a 24 pack of coke as an easy example. Reg price €18, frequently on offer for €10. Previously on offer for as low as €7.50, website prices it at €1 instead of €10.

It is very obviously an error and you order 200 cases,

Even if it was delivered to you, they can request return of it as any reasonable person could see it was an error and your tried to "enrich" yourself from their error.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Criminal offence? Seriously? He bought the item. You'd think he stole it with that statement. I think such comments should be given more consideration before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Even I know its not a criminal offence. I paid for items that were on sale for a said price even if it wrong price. The retailer had option to accept/reject the offer. They accepted it and shipped items. I know they can cancel upto point of delivery and reject the offer which is in their terms.

Thing is the said glitch is still active 3 days later and still works.

A UK retailer recently shipped several 98" TVs that were meant to £18,000 but were mispriced at £300, they cancelled most orders , but some slipped through and were delivered. Do you think they commited a crime by buying something with their own money and the company fulfilling the order by delivering it?

Even for obvious price errors I believe same terms apply, they are within their rights to cancel before delivery and consumer has no comeback except getting refunded.

Once delivered the contract is sealed even for price errors so dont really think the retailer can do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I've never come across any example of it - but similarly I've never come across any example of a retailer not giving change when a €50 note is handed in for €20 worth of goods (no LEGAL entitlement for change to be provided in a retail cash transaction).

It would be difficult to prove as you would need to prove that the person knew it was mispriced to a degree that it became a dishonest transaction to obtain the goods at that price.

If I've the time to waste, I'll try and dig it up again. (I posted the details here many years ago in the DeVore days under a very old handle when another person was incredulous that such an offence existed - they never replied!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Bump - anyone else with some knowledge of this?

The glitch is still active a week later. Retailer has not fixed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you know the price is a glitch / error and very obviously so and you seek to take advantage of that, that in itself is a criminal offence.

Complete and utter bollocks but, like most Boards blowhards, the poster in question has been banned... quelle surprise 🙄

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement