Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Blomkamp‘s Gran Turismo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Jesus blomkamp has really begun taking any auld sh1te script thrown his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No Sharlto Copley?

Strangely formulaic at least seemingly so for Blomkamp. Probably being paid an obscene amount of money and couldn’t turn it down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It actually looks like a fake film - almost a comedy skit without any jokes (or, in other words, a typical modern SNL sketch 😅)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This looks to be the guy from the based on the true story part: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jann_Mardenborough

In 2011 he became the third and youngest winner of the GT Academy competition, beating 90,000 entrants.[1] He was rewarded with a drive for Nissan at the Dubai 24 Hour race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Woof, I saw this the other day but hadn't realised Blomkamp was "directing" - talk about a fall from grace, though his career has been a downward curve since District 9. I guess at this stage this is all he can get.

As to what I saw? Double woof; it looks like absolute garbage, I gotta be honest. Which means it'll probably do gangbusters. Also, my sleep deprived brain keeps seeing the title and thinking it's some weird follow-up / reboot to Gran Torino.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

The word out of the fan and secret screenings Sony has put on is that it's actually not terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

it looks very smelly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Did not see a thread for this so starting one now.

Just seen it. Not bad. I knew nothing about the young lad that won the competition by Nissan in this.

Very loud and the cars sounded great. You could feel them in the Cinema if you get what I mean the noise.

Anyway thourely recommended a very enjoyable film. There was even a good crowd for a midday midweek showing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CMOD: threads merged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had to laugh at how I read three reviews in a row the other day that called this a 'simulation of cinema' (or minor variation thereof), due to the script's apparent insistence that Gran Turismo is a 'simulation of driving' rather than a video game!

I get the impression Gran Turismo fans take the games very seriously (which probably makes sense given the "true story" this is based on).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have never once played a Gran Turismo game when I did play games. They just never appealed to me and yet I enjoyed this film. It deserves to at least break even. Give it a go you might enjoy it and sure go to Vue a ticket is only €6 all week.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Looks like the audience like the film.

Currently audience have it at 7.2/10 on IMDB and 98% on RT

I never hugely got car movies as much as scifi so can never really get a proper feel in advance myself.

The true story bit in the trailer did jump out at me and I was guessing then the car, and maybe car gamer, fans would like it. I think I heard Grace mention they took some creative liberties with the true story though.

Not releasing wide in the US until next week: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4495098/releaseinfo/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I enjoyed the film. I went in knowing in part it was an informerical for the game but I was pleasantly surprised by the actors doing a decent job and the traditional plot elements mixed in with some subtle CGI. Must confess, I laughed at the Enya and Kenny G moments.

So, one week since the wider US release. Ah yeah, there it is, the car fans really do like the car films: https://www.cinemascore.com/

The US car fans went along to the cinema and gave it an A cinemascore when they were asked on the way out.

That's pretty good from what I know. The film even tweeted it out: https://twitter.com/granturismo/status/1695919117474070935

Saw Stuckmans review earlier and he seemed confused about the low critic scores so I'm guessing Blomkamp put in the work and delivered a solid film for the car and/or gamer fans.

Currently audience have it at 7.4/10 on IMDB (up 0.2 since my earlier post) and 98% on RT (no change)

Total box office so far at about 60m for what wiki says was a budget of about 60m

So, depends on if it has legs I guess and word of mouth pulls in enough budget to cover the rest of the costs like marketing etc... and more to turn a profit.

Advertisement