Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping people trying the door

Options
  • 03-05-2023 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live in a new home with a wired home security system with three zones in urban area. Semi D over three floors. Every few months I forget to lock the front door for a few hours and I have people who try the front door. Never seen them yet but I hear them. They check the door and run off. I guess they just want to rob a purse or something by the front door. Aside from adding more zones and security camera which I considering, is there anything else worth adding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

A dog

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Motion detector inside the door, a 'shop bell' that rings when the door is opened or a pressure sensor under the flooring.

Also, a door closer that closes the door and/or a self-locking dead lock - if the door is closed it locks automatically. However, do not forget your keys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

Consider changing the front door lock so that it locks automatically when closed?

Annoying if you lock yourself out of course, but you could hide a key, or give one to a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Second the auto locking front door

Deadbolt or something inside to prevent the door opening even when unlocked, in case your keys get stolen or someone smashes the window beside the door to unlock it

Porch light on at night, and ensure any lighting won't blind the cameras

Set the alarm at night too, most of them have a night program where the indoor motion sensors won't trigger it

Don't leave anything visible in the hallway, no keys, bags, jackets or anything that might be a target

You're right that these lads are just looking for a quick grab and run, a lot of robberies aren't preplanned. The idea is to make the risk too high and rewards too low that it isn't worthwhile

Oh, and stop forgetting to lock the door 😉

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You cannot rely on wired home security systems, zones, cameras and such to compensate for an unlocked door. They do not serve the same function. The only solution to your problem is to lock the door. If you cannot reliably remember to lock it, fit a lock that does not rely on you remembering in order to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just upgrade the lock. Far cheaper and less hassle than keeping a dog that the OP may not necessarily have the commitment for.

Thanks a lot. I grew up with a deadbolt. I prefer them. I'll if they can be added to Munster Joinery doors.

A motion detector inside the door sounds good too but I think I would set it off if I am around the house.

Camera might be the best way to push back against them. A load of my neighbours use Ring. I feel I rather not be tied to another US corporation with cloud storage so I wanted to avoid it. I thought maybe I could get one with local only data storage but I will review what are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

You can get a motion sensor linked to the sound of dog barking..

I got a deadbolt which attaches to the frame and just flicks across the door, pretty simple to install

The issue with doorbell cameras, and cameras in general, are that the lads just wear a hoodie and a face mask and they can't be identified from the footage

They do have their uses, particularly since you can use them as an intercom if someone unknown comes up and you don't particularly feel like opening the door

The general advice is lock up and light up, try to make sure that anyone trying to gain entry will be visible and be forced to make a lot of noise and take too long to be worthwhile trying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I would instal automatic lock and next to the door install a box for the keys, coded. Or you might change the lock for automatic coded lock, so no need for keys then.

When you say automatic lock, do you mean an electronic lock? Any brand you recommend? The cheap ones looks dodgy. I wouldn't want a door that relies on batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Electric gates were the best thing I ever got.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I have a Eufy floodlight camera on our driveway. If anyone enters it alarms quite loudly for any human shaped object regardless of their face is covered or not. Legitimate callers ignore it, nut a few others that weren’t expected have left as soon as the alarm goes. It doesn’t beat locking the door though!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Don't overcomplicate things. Just a spring bolt (Yale) lock, so that when the door closes, it locks, unless you make a point of ensuring that it doesn't lock. With this kind of lock you can accidentally lock yourself out, which is why you have a key safe located somewhere outside with a spare key in it, so you can let yourself in again if the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

I also think getting something where the door locks on shutting is your only solution OP. The other solutions are not to be entirely disregarded but they're merely prevention and won't stop anything.

I think the type of person who walks up to a door and tries it, isn't going to care whether there's prevention measures or not. You won't be able to control their mind from trying the handle, and if it opens, they're in.

These are the same type of people who steal on shop CCTV or pull at a bike lock in the middle of a busy street. If they get arrested they still don't care. Probably numerous arrests and convictions already. A light or camera won't deter from the immediate thought processes of trying the door imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are we over thinking this?

Why not just fit a night-latch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Absolutely, everyone is overthinking this.

Just lock the door....put reminders all over the place to do so. On your phone at night, make it a ritual.....until its 2nd nature...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

A camera has he advantage of warning neighbours and reporting him to the police. I think installing a night latch is the way to go, although I am not sure if there is enough space on the door frame.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you, a camera is not going to help at all if your door is unlocked

The idea is to secure the perimeter and keep intruders out long enough that you can call the guards. Cameras are a useful tool you can use, but they aren't a magic solution

If the door is unlocked an intruder can just walk right in and grab something and run off (possibly while attacking you or your family) before you've even gotten the alert from the camera that someone is at the door

Fix the door problem before looking at anything else is still my advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement