Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was thinking of upgrading anyway but then...

Options
  • 03-05-2023 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭

... My son was playing with it and there was a pop noise with slight smell of burning. After this, it won't turn on at all.

Have verified that the main cable works by plugging it into a screen.

Did this test to check the power supply and it's not coming on so possibly a problem here or I'm terrible at connecting a jumper. It's a Corsair cx750.

https://youtu.be/5FWXgQSokF4

The machine is a build from here actually. ~10 years old. When it was starting, it started up in about 10 seconds and it plays every game in my library. The only one it struggled with was Borderlands 3.

So bearing in mind that it's a ten year old build (that can't be upgraded to latest version of windoze), is it worth replacing the power supply and upgrading parts on it or better off starting afresh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Deffo get a new build. That i5 is well past it and then the GPU is years old also unless you upgraded it in the past few years since you made that thread. Are you still playing at 720p?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Only thing I've upgraded is to a multi-screen HD setup.

Any suggestions for a budget of "about" a grand? Presume I can re-use the disc player? Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The case should be fine, I'd replace the fans though.

What are you playing or whats your needs? Could get a steam deck if you only play light enough games, but you could also pick up a decent 3060ti rig for about 800E on adverts if you know what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can get a 850w EVGA GT for 108eur (AmazonUK).

Has a 10-year warranty, fully modular & is Gold-rated (better efficiency, i.e. less power wasted).

-----

I'd start with the PSU and see if it all turns on. If yes, first upgrade would be to GPU (help with Borderlands 3) and then CPU. Wouldn't hurt to get a tube of Arctic MX-4 and re-paste the CPU cooler.

And if you think you could do with new fans, Arctic P12/P14 or the newer P12 MAX are a good shout for cheap, efficient cooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would just start again. Even €500 euro would build you a machine that'd be infinitely more powerful than your old one, there's nothing to be salvaged from it bar possibly the case.

After ten years service I think it's OK to just let it go. A new decent PSU would be worth almost as much as the PC itself at this stage.

Cheers thanks for suggestions. Will probably get a cheap PSU just so I can retrieve stuff off it and upgrade.

Got cheap PSU that meets the power requirements. Powered back up fine but it will only read the SSD. Tried checking cables and lost the SSD for a time so couldn't boot. Then swapped out the cables and got the SSD back. HDD is definitely spinning but computer is unable to see it. Not visible in BIOS either. Tried putting the hard drives on separate power cables as well.

Find it hard to believe that PSU and HDD both died at the same time.

Possible problem with motherboard connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When a power supply blows there is a good chance it can take something else out with it, or that something took it out with it.

Got it going eventually by plugging into the SATA slot I was using for DVD drive but computer crashes randomly. Motherboard probably banjo'd.

At least I can get my photos and stuff backed up now at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement