Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Additional Needs Payment

• 03-05-2023 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if this payment goes into the claimants bank account on a certain day of the week like other social welfare payments or can it go in anytime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Is it a one off or regular payment? I was in receipt of a weekly payment that went into my account on Fridays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks Ginger83, it’s a once off payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It does Cherry Blossom. I applied for it , processed very quickly , lodged within a few days of approval. It can go in on any day and not linked to any current payment or day. Paperwork important etc .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Sorry I’m a long time coming back to this thread. I moved house old place was basically very old and in need of a lot of repairs. The figure I applied for was to cover deposit for the new landlord, gas deposit and two weeks rent to tide me over the overlapping period. I had to give 2 weeks notice to the old landlord and the guy in the new place would have given this apartment to someone else had I asked him to wait a few weeks. I had to borrow money from family to cover these costs in the meantime. It was over a month before I heard back about the additional needs payment. The gist of what the letter said was that these expenses were paid so there was no need. So I’m now €1200 in debt to family members and my hap is still a work in progress due to landlord not being able to get a letter from his bank. Thankfully I’m now told as of last week that the application has gone for signing and I’ll hear in the next few days. I’m really hoping for the best so I can start paying back my family with the saving on rent.

There is no way any landlord would wait over a month to get the security deposit paid and the gas company would not have connected me without theirs. I’m now dreading the gas bill coming in as it’s due before the fuel allowance starts. How do people manage?

Did they approve the ANP 🤔 It's not clear if they Did 🤔, there are supports for help with utility bills Cherry Blossom.

• Advertisement

No they didn’t approve the ANP

Sorry to hear that. The fact you had already paid the deposit as opposed to needing it swayed their decision. In my own case I had urgent need to replace a fridge & Washing machine + Travel expenses for medical appointments in Dublin.

The ANP can be applied for for a range of urgent needs such as Utility bills but seperately MABS can also help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

They didn’t approve it because ( technically) the fact that you’d already paid for the things meant that your “need had been met”. So, you no longer had a “need”, disqualifying you from the ANP scheme.

It’s SW not the council. But the council do have similar rules about grants.

Absolutely. I’m loathe to quote Margaret Thatcher but she hit the nail on the head when she said “there’s no such thing as “public” money, there’s only taxpayers money”.

• Advertisement

I am actually also a taxpayer 😏

Of course you are Cherry. That’s not the point I’m making at all. Sorry if I offended you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for an ANP to be assessed after applying online ?

I wasn't aware you could apply for this on line 🤔 I was told its by post only & to a specific address in Newbridge dealing with these application. Mine processed & paid with in a week but application by post

I filled in paper form and handed into local SW office. It took 5 weeks to hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭doc22

So is it the case with ANP that if you have money in bank no payment? Say 500 euro in bank and needed washing machine that no ANP would be paid

No that’s not the case. ANP looks at your income, your outgoings, your savings and the particular circumstances of your “need”. Then a decision is reached.

Did you say on the form family members paid and it's to refund them

I thought that was it but by Cherry Blossom's case I think some CWO wouldn't be giving any money if finance was available else where.In the past you couldn't land with a massive esb bill and expect it to paid and only partial support might be given.

Unfortunately the ANP is for emergency needs , for specific emergencies . Any one putting in an application must prove there is an immediate need for example a Household appliance , Car repair etc . Supports with Utility bills are handled by MABs I believe. They will not award anything for something already paid ,even if someone borrowed to pay.

Obviously a claimants Bank Balance might have a baring on a decision but they'll assess income also.

I can only go on my experience which was to cover the cost of House hold appliances & Travel expenses for medical appointments. I submitted Quotations for the Equipment & a guess of €20 for a train ticket . I was awarded the amount on the Quotation + €20 for travel.

• Advertisement

You will be disqualified as far as I’m concerned. Please let us know what the response is.

Ah sorry Dempo. I didn’t read the whole thread. The ANP application is full of landmines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Hi all, looking for some advice for my next door Neighbour, unfortunately she has suffered a left side stroke a month ago, and has a long and huge road ahead of her, she's 60 and has been on disability this past 8 years.

She doesn't have a whole pile to her name, she ls renting her house with some help from HAP. So what I'm wondering when I see this ANP. Would she qualify for anything? maybe a laptop or WiFi data dongle or anything like that, it's to get her on to Netflix while she is in hospital. There is no WiFi available and her phone provider coverage is cat.

Anything else that might be recommended that she apply for? She usually just lives week to week.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

I suggest that she (or someone on her behalf) make contact with the hospital social worker who may be able to assist her.

Hi, there, unfortunately the ANP is only for Emergency Needs such as replacement Fridge, Cooker, Car Repairs, One off emergency costs etc. I do sympathise with your Neighbour but the criteria is very strict & means tested. Also worth pointing out, as I've advised before, a, person claiming can't have already paid for an item or borrowed to pay, looking for ANP to help repay.

I went through the application & was successful but Submitted Quotes, Bank Statements & detailed explanation of my then needs.

There maybe other Services that help those on Disability & indeed Charitable organisations.

Advertisement