Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a bike for cycling with the kids etc aka take pity on a complete newb

Options
  • 03-05-2023 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me a bit of a steer on this. Basically, my daughter is 4 & 1/2 and absolutely loves cycling her bike. She’ll stay on it for hours on end. So I’m going to get something to cycle with her on stuff like greenways/perhaps bring her to school on when the weather/time allows.

I’ve not cycled all that regularly since I used to cycle to school twenty odd years ago. I’m just under 6’3, but have a slightly longer torso so I guess a 58cm frame would suit me? I guess some sort of hybrid bike makes sense, though I’m open to correction on that. I won’t be doing any mountain biking or heavy road work.

I’m self-employed so don’t have the option of the bike to work scheme but, tbh, as it’s just for occasional use, I’m not bothered if it’s second hand. No budget as such, but ideally I’d like to keep it to a few hundred euro if possible. In skimming a few threads a lot of people seem to suggest you’re far better to get a good quality second hand bike from a really good manufacturer, rather than a brand new Halfords type of thing. I’ve seen Giant/Trek/Boardman recommended but I don’t have a clue on that front.

Any suggests on manufacturers/models/particular things I should be looking for/avoid in a bike?

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Might be best to spend €100-€200 on Adverts and get a second hand runaround for a few months, to help you to work out what you like and don’t like. At your size, you’ll definitely need a larger bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where are you based? frog bikes seem to have a good reputation.

https://www.frogbikes.com/frogbikes-stores

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Had a pal in a similar predicament about 2 years ago and picked up a Trek similar to the one below for him:

They're generally well put together and pretty plentiful online.

You’d be looking for large or xl.

I wouldn’t worry about disc brakes etc just get something that fits and is in decent shape.

Check the wheels spin freely and straight and the gears change properly. Good tyres is a bonus.

If you get into cycling you can upgrade in future 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

All good advice so far. Would just add to avoid anything with suspension. It’s unnecessary unless your going seriously off-road, adds lots of weight, and potentially expensive repairs.

A flatbar hybrid from Giant, Trek, Merida, Orbea or Boardman would be the way I’d go. A lot of cheaper bikes are steel and very heavy. If you can find something that feels a bit lighter when you lift it (eg aluminium), it will add a lot to your pleasure, especially the first time you hit a hill!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I can only echo the above re recommendations for your bike, but if your daughter loves her bike have you thought of bringing her to some BMX? there might be one or a pump track at least near you. Kids start at 3, an one seen pics of a 3 year old 'getting air' on their balance bike 🥹🥹🥹

and you can begin the lifetime of standing track/ roadside for her 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Sorry folks. Meant to reply properly to say thanks for all the help, but between holidays and the like it slipped my mind. I actually ended up buying the Merida bike that Mr. Cats recommended. I picked it up earlier. In great nick. So far, it seems a lovely bike.

Thanks again, all.

Funnily enough, we brought them out to the little beginners’ track in Tramore Valley Park in Cork a couple of times before we went away and they loved it. My wife, on the other hand, was terrified!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ah class! There's a while bmx track in Cork too so lots of opportunities for your wife to test her blood pressure🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Thanks for updating. Always great to hear what decision someone made and how they got on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Not at all. Thanks a mil for bringing it to my attention. I wouldn’t have had the first clue what to go for. Had my first spin on it this afternoon. It’s a lovely bike. Has obviously barely been used. Thanks again. One very happy boardsie.

Advertisement