Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion heater - wiring question

Options
  • 04-05-2023 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I needed to change my switch for my boiler, but looks like this new swtich that I bought has different entrances for the wires.

I followed the old wiring but looks like it is not heating.

Can anyone help me please?

my old one (pic 1 and 2)

Pic 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

I tend not to like the default position here if people who say "hire an electrician" to people who might have a question - but hire an electrician.

Some constructive criticism...

1. You can't use red heatshrink for the earth.
    2. The box must be secure on the wall.
    3. You absolutely cannot just stuff the wires in as best they fit and leave the individual strands exposed. They can/will fall out or short off something else.
    4. The above are very basic to be honest, but if someone does want to help, diagram is below.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Looks like you will have to link L-out to COM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sharp90br

Thanks! That's what I thought that was missing a 2mm wire to link in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sharp90br

Thanks for your position on this.

Regarding the red wire for earth, it wasn't me exactly hehe, I just opened the box to change the current switch to a new one, and it was exactly like the picture.

Anyway, thanks, and I got all you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Those need a link as said

Immersions can be a minefield for DIY with faults/no rcd present, and wire colours

They give trouble after when everything's not tightened up at the switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Simple job when you know what you're doing but its almost impossible to give someone instructions on wiring immersion heaters

Theres the links and the cable colours, some switches are marked L1 L2, faults and RCDs , tightening cable connections , there's about 6 or 7 things to go wrong

Chances of getting it right on DIY are about 50/50 at best

Advertisement