Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuck and Cam's Big Bash - your Coronation Megathread

Options
  • 05-05-2023 12:22pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Jack and Vera of the Palace are heading to the Abbey tomorrow

I'm sure there will be some commentary appropriate to CA

Can everyone play nicely. Please respect the views of others however much uuou may disagree and engage in a constructive discussion of their Big Day.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm heading now to see if I can get a good spot. Wish me luck!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

It's telling that Andrew was at a family gathering but Harry is only meant to appear at the ceremony itself and nothing else. If this had taken place 4/5 years ago, it would have been a very different story.

I for one will be tuning in as it's a historical occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks Beasty- before I saw this I opened a TV forum chat thread also- if you feel it better to keep all chat on this forum would you lock my one and tell people to come here?

In the meantime I’ll update my TV forum thread and divert them back to here- better to have just one mega thread

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058295408/coronation-of-king-charles-3-the-chat-thread/p1?new=1

Totally- I’m surprised more people haven’t been talking about this in Ireland- was speaking to a few work people and they had no interest in watching it today-as you say it’s an historical event and that’s the reason I’m watching it- well that and the soap opera of Harry & Andrew.

It’s actually quite sad that Harry didn’t attend the family bash last night - that would have been such a personal occasion but could you imagine it- awkward or wha?! No one would speak in fear of being quoted in his next book 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I seem to remember a newspaper , years and years ago, printed a story that quoted some "Mystic" type person saying that Charles would never be King. He is the longest living "heir to the throne" in history. Even he must have thought that this day mightn't ever come, as Q.E.2 sailed into her 90's! If he'd popped his cloggs before having kids ,the U.K would be crowning Prince Andrew as King today! Oh, what a circus, Oh, what a show!

• Advertisement

Perish the thought Andrew would be king-he’s such an entitled little runt but then again, he’s possessed those traits from his childhood - a bit of nature but a lot of nurture has made him that way.

At least if we have a president we don’t like, wait a few years and another will come along- this succession lark could be depressing for many

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No harm in having the two threads

While I am sure there will be commentary in this thread it also will cover other aspects of both the events of today and the monarchy in general. The TV one would be more of a commentary without getting into any political or constitutional type issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

TBF Harry was on the Late Late last night chatting to Tubs....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's amazing how busy this thread isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sky news are streaming coverage on youtube. I just watched about ten minutes then switched it off, the whole thing looks utterly bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

You’d wonder at any point in this day will Chas think “God I feel like a bit of an eejit “

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭ratracer

It’ll be great to hear the reaction to the coronation at Anfield later…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Is he refusing to get out?😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Bit disappointed with RTE, I thought Joe Brolly would be brought back to do the commentary....

Bit of a damp squib alright - I’m watching it myself right now but there’s not a whole lot to comment on - just lots of toffs dressed up in silly outfits.

But, for all you oldies out there, just saw Floella Benjamin accompanying the Orb- a long way from play school in the 70s - great to see her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭bigroad

Must be free drinks and din din after to attract such a large crowd.

Camilla being celebrated by the choir.

Diana, if you could see how things were going to work out back in the day.....

My god Kate looks stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Thought it was Floella alright. Brought back memories of watching playschool on BBC in the 80's when I'd managed to swing a sickie from school

It's a theatre with a large amount of absolutely crap seats where you can see nothing.

• Advertisement

Yeah reckon there’s some pizzed off people there staring at a wall or a stained glass window

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tinpib

Charlie looks fcking miserable there. Perhaps like on his wedding day to Diana.

One of the few programmes on TV back then throughout the day - along with Deputy Dog, Emerdale, Crown Court and re-runs of the 60s show The Baron

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

They do ceremonies extremely well. Some preparation even down to the midnight rehearsals through the streets during the week.

It's some task these days even to hold people's attention without them getting distracted and scrolling through their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Tis all very grand.

Sun shining here and it raining there. Lol.

Apparently similar weather for the last two coronations also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tinpib

He's holding a sword now, presented to him by a quite buxom Penny Mordaunt, while sitting on the coronation throne. Just like a real life Game of Thrones episode. Though if it were we'd then cut to the two of them riding away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I just flicked it on a few minutes ago. I was wondering who the cabin-crew/stewardess-type person was, but I didn't realise it was Penny Mordaunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Fantastic pantomime but that’s all it is. Totally ridiculous. This has to be the last one.

Most of us weren’t around for the last Queen’s coronation, she was just always there for us. When you actually see this though, someone being anointed by God to serve as king, it’s just too ridiculous to take. No matter how impressive the pageantry, how can anyone buy into it?

Advertisement