Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House flooring costs

Options
  • 05-05-2023 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone is doing great! I would like your opinion on a matter that buffles me, as I am not from Ireland originally and I do not know how things work in the construction business.

So, my SO and I have just bought a house and we brought a technician to lay a new laminated floor. There are a lot of things that keep coming up as unexpected expenses, which makes sense to be honest, as you cannot account for everything.

There is something though that strucks as weird to say the least in the way that he calculates the labour cost. We had a quote calculated per sq.m., which meant that for our house area that would be a certain price, which is what we agreed upon. Now he told us that the sq.m. of the house is being calculated by the boxes of the laminated floor they use as they need to account also for cutting the boards etc. This adds a singificant amount in the cost, a 30% more in a quick calculation, as there is a lot of waste on the boards that are not being used.

Does anyone have experience with this? He told us that this is how everyone counts the cost of labour, but this is the first time I hear about it and it sounds strange, as I would thing that cutting floor boards etc is part of the labour. I would appreciate the opinion of someone that knows a bit more how things generally work out and if this is a common way of calculating costs.

Thank you for hearing me out!

Comments

Advertisement