Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeview HD on Irish EPG

• 05-05-2023 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've set up my old Welsh Freeview aerial combined with Saorview aerial.

Using the EPG set to Ireland I'm not getting any program name or information on the EPG for Freeview HD channels.

The times for blank programs are showing on the Freeview HD channels epg.

All other Saorview and Freeview channels are fine.

This is happening on both my LG TV and Saorview Connect Box.

If I change the LG TV location to UK, the EPG for Freeview HD channels is fine but it would mean having the Saorview channels in the 800s and not being able to re number them.

Just wondering if Freeview are using different technologies for Freeview HD channels than Saorview and it their is a work around

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You are dealing with two completely separate networks, neither of which knows or cares about the other. The Freeview network carries EPG data for Freeview, you cant expect it to carry Saorview EPG data and vice versa. It would be the same for someone on the south coast of England. You wouldn't expect Freeview to carry French EPG data even if the TV can receive French channels. Likewise French networks don't carry English EPG data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭batistuta9

That's not what they're really taking about or expecting though. Setup for Ireland, they'll get Freeview EPG for itv 2,3,4 etc. but not itv 1 hd or any hd channel. The SD ones are all fine for some reason.

It's been like that for years @FRIENDO noticed the same about 12/13 years ago. Can't remember now if the program names came in but definitely no descriptions or full EPG. At the time I just tuned to UK & could reorder the channels, less saorview ones so easy enough. Was on an lg too actually. Mightn't be possible now to reorder if the TV is freeview play spec. Can you reorder on the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Thanks Guys.

@batistuta9 the Connect box won't let you reorder, however will let you hide channels.

LG can't re order in the Freeview play spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 letovo3275

you would think a non-crap tv could handle getting the epg for both and just showing both. as you said they're completely separate so whats the problem.

get pvr software, it'll do this all perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Just to add my own little bit - it looks like your TV & combo box is behaving whereby it has very little or no memory allocated for remembering EPG data in the EIT of the signal you are receiving when you then tune to a different signal that doesn't contain the same EIT data.

On both the Saorview & Freeview platforms, each multiplex holds EPG data for all services across its platform, for Saorview this data is replicated across both multiplexes e.g. EPG data for RTÉ One is transmitted across both multiplexes. This allows relatively simple receivers with just one tuner to read the EPG data on just the tuned multiplex and display it as such for the services that are known to be "saved" in the receiver's memory, without having to tune to the other multiplex to download its data, meeting a minimum of the DVB-T spec for decoding standard EPG data.

On Freeview, all data is carried across all available multiplexes being broadcast in a single broadcast region. In Northern Ireland, this includes the three PSB muxs, the three commercial muxes, the RNI_1 multiplex & the local TV multiplex in Belfast. At certain transmitter sites where only say the PSB muxs are being broadcast, and are the only multiplexes subsequently received by a viewer, all of the EPG data across the eight mentioned multiplexes is still carried on the three PSB muxes, but are "discarded" by the receiver as they cannot match up the detail to any services that has been saved by the receiver. For example, I receive my Freeview services via Brougher Mountain which transmits the 3 PSB, 3 COM & RNI_! mutliplexes - all these multiplexes also carry EPG data for services on the local TV multiplex in Belfast, but this is discarded by my receiver as I can't receive these services.

In your case, you'd be receiving Freeview EPG data for the Wales broadcast region which would contain EPG info for the 3 local PSB multiplexes, 3 commercial & the various local TV multiplexes dotted across the principality. Presuming you're receiving Preseli, all EPG info for services on the Welsh local TV multiplexes will be discarded by your receiver.

Unfortunately, how receivers interpret receiving two different EPG data streams from two different signals can be a bit of a lottery, On some receivers, there is no effective non-volatile memory in place for saving standard DVB-EIT EPG data, so when you tune from one multiplex to the other (even on the same "platform"), the previous EPG data gets discarded and starts getting built up again when the receiver tunes to a new frequency. Even some PVRs don't handle this well - I've an old Philips Freeview+ HD PVR that when it tuned to Saorview services, it discarded Freeview EPG info & vice versa. Better receivers/PVRs will in their firmware when a setup has taken place to scan for services detect when several multiplexes are received from different countries (or regions within countries) and will thus ensure that EPG data from one multiplex is retained in memory when the tuner is moved to another multiplex that has different EPG data, though it may rely being tuned on this multiplex to continiously update available EPG info, so for example if you remained on watching Saorview services only for say two days without tuning into a Freeview multiplex, you'd need to tune in to a Freeview service so EPG data for 6-7 days ahead can be read by the receiver (some will do such a scan when the receiver is in standby).

There is a separate part of the DVB-EIT table for now/next programme info which I believe is a mandatory part of the UK DTG D-Book for meeting Freeview specifications for memory retention, which can explain why on some receivers now/next info for Saorview services (provided a Saorview multiplex was recently "tuned in") will remain available on EPG guides, while info from longer-term EPG info may not be. I'm not sure how the Irish NorDig spec is meant to handle this.

As you've found out, this can be an annoyance and you often only find out a certain receiver handles it all when you see it working yourself.

• Advertisement

@TAFKAlawhec thank you

Ok, so that's after working out very well.

Set LG TV to UK location

Set up favourite list and reorganized all channels to my liking

Original channel numbers remain the same, however I have added RTE 1 to LG quick access No 1, so if I hold no.1 on the control it goes straight to RTE1, the first channel on my favourite list/epg 👍

All channels Saorview and Freeview full 7 day EPG.

Also found serial link record is available on UK Freeview channels, which is very handy.

Thanks Guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

How is the freeview signal holding up?

The three PSB transmission are fine, however the Commercial transmission are weather permitting

Advertisement