Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoghurt Maker

• 05-05-2023 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

Anyone use or know of a high capacity (1.8/2L or higher) yoghurt maker with a thermostat? Need to ferment at a certain temperature for a specific diet.

I can't find any apart from one on Amazon with poor reviews.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭squonk

I made yogurt in my instant pot. An instant pot might be overkill or overpriced for what you want but they’re handy and the cheaper smallest cheapest model will do. They all make yogurt. Smallest is 3L I think. Would easily accommodate your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Thanks. I've used this for years:

Apparently now, or maybe always, it's running too hot for the probiotic.

I'll have a look at the instant pots. They seem to have temperature gauges.

Which model do you use? Can it be set for 100-110F / 38-43 C?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭squonk

I think the one I made yogurt in was the IP Duo. They don’t do temperatures explicitly. There is a yogurt program that scald tge milk I think then later lets it hover around the 40°C mark. It’s a few years since I tried it but I was happy with the results all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vernonwells

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Could I get your instant pot recipe and method for making yogurt please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 StudentforLife

@Mystery Egg I'm not the poster you quoted but I've been using my instant pot to make yoghurt for 4 years.

It has a yoghurt setting so I put 2/3 litres of milk in, lid on and then press yoghurt a few times until the boil option comes up. It boils in about 20 minutes

I take the lid off and let it cool to between 37-42 degrees then I skim the top and discard then take a cup of the milk out and mix either dried yoghurt culture or a live natural yoghurt with a mix of cultures and no bifidis with the cup of milk before adding back to the instant pot

Press yoghurt again and set temperature to low and choose 24 hours, I do this to reduce the lactose in it. You could set it to less hours and still have natural yoghurt.

When it is ready I take some out to have more liquid yoghurt for cooking and drip the rest using a muslin cloth to get it to a thicker consistency like Greek yoghurt.

I use kilner jars to store in the fridge and lasts roughly two weeks.

That was more or less my method for years except using the Yogurmet machine above. I tested the temperature last week and it was 60c, far too warm for the probiotic. What model of maker do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 StudentforLife

@Heighway61 I use an Instant Pot.

I'll look for something with a temperature guage. Need an accurate temperature. Not sure if I can trust a manufacturer claim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement