Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caitriona Perry going back to America to be a BBC America reporter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LongfordMB

I'll always remember when she got the 6-1 gig she was asked how she felt about 2 female presenters. She said something about how it's great for women and how capable they both were etc. Well wasn't that convenient for your career at that time catriona. I think you'd have a different response to two men getting it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you deliberately trying to be misogynistic or does it just come naturally?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You were doing so well and then you said the you would say thd same about him. I do not like him one bit. He is smug and is probably smiling big time now that he will be the main anker on the Six One news. Well he can keep it because I gave up watching it as soon as he started there and do not have the time to watch an hour of the same news anyway.

I wish it was him going away and not Caitriona.

I least I would not have to see or his smug face any more or hear his voice.

Even the bit I watched of him with the two reporters at the coronation you could see he thought he was better than both of them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

How does going to another country stop you from building memories and bonding with your family? If she's happier living and working in the States then I guess she'll be a happier person in her personal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, the incels don't like her anyway.

• Advertisement

Another absolute reach to find fault with her. She has done well in a really interesting, exciting job. She's got a first-class honours degree, a masters which she completed while working. She's seriously hard-working, smart, articulate, and she's beautiful. It's killing men here. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

You’re going out of your way to be offended.

Oh definitely not all men. But quite a few here for such a short thread.

And I'd absolutely expect some women to be enraged over her too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'd seriously question the judgment of anyone who thinks she's beautiful. I don't follow her work enough to comment on the rest, but she's an average looking girl at best. I suppose that makes me a woman hater too?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

She was probably bored off her head sitting in the studio when she was used to travelling around the US and working in Washington. Definitely a more interesting job than reading the news everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

That’s the bottom line. RTÉ seems to be a totally toxic workplace at the moment and disintegrating by the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

I mean in all honesty, who gives a b0llix, popped up as a notification on my mobile, does anyone really care.

Why would I think you're a woman hater just because you don't fancy her?

I think she's very good looking. I don't think it would be necessary to seriously question my judgment for a difference of opinion at all.

She's certainly pretty.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. She certainly wouldn't be my cup of tea, but ever man likes a different brand I suppose.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Plus, as already said, she seems much more suited to reporting.

But why would you think that would make people see you a woman hater? That's a weird point of view.

I've seen many people on here being called sexist for talking about women's looks in the past, especially if you're being critical. Even the fact that this thread is half full of similar claims because people dared to not worship her, says a lot about the hyper sensitivity of these types. It's a very weird point of view, but it's not me who's created the standard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There's no cats in America and the streets are paved with cheese.

• Advertisement

Dupe post.

You're the only person on this thread that expected to be called a woman hater, you brought it up. It's almost like you wanted to be called one but I can't figure out why. Really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

always reminds me of someone who could do with a good feed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wait why didn’t you nakedly complain about another america thread here? Motive?

Come on now, nobody is going to have a go at you for simply saying you don't fancy a woman and think she's plain. Those who tear strips off anyone's looks (male or female) though aren't capable of much in the way of arguing if they're focused on someone's looks which are irrelevant, rather than their behaviour/views. And plenty of women tear strips off a person's looks too. What you said to me about being deemed a woman hater was a heck of a reach. Nothing was said to indicate such a thing.

Back to this thread though, that's seriously disingenuous stuff from you. Nobody was castigated for not daring to worship her - silly claim. No, it would be the unfounded hostility towards her that makes them come across as bizarrely resentful towards her. For no reason (other than bits and pieces that they've dreamed up) e.g. she has notions, she's played the gender/sex card, her hair is blonde for photo shoots - all of this based on what? And no, a man would NOT get "career before family eh?"

"Good riddance to her" - why? Still no answer to that one. "Sheer naked ambition"... as opposed to clothed ambition? Making her out to be ruthless. Ambition is what's needed to achieve, yes, it's standard stuff. Both women and men can be ambitious.

Some venom about her going on maternity leave. Some other bitter post about her doing the evening news because of convenience... a nothing reason to be angry anyway.

There's nothing hyper sensitive about seeing the above for how miserable it is, and how it's sheer resentment that she has done well for herself. They're like teenage girls saying "she's a stuck up bitch" about the pretty, nice, high achieving girl. This is valid criticism, not imagined offence. Very dishonest to suggest it's merely people not worshipping her.

She doesn't say or do anything controversial, she just does her job. There are men who get the resentment treatment too for sure, but not ones who simply do their job and say/do nothing controversial. And there are particular things being used to attack her which are based on her being a woman.

But not a soul here has even implied that she should be worshipped. Or even liked.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'm sorry but I reject your woke assertion that any criticism of a woman is misogynistic. I think Claire Byrne is fantastic at her job so how does that make me a woman hater exactly?

ah, ok. So you weren't trying to be misogynistic...

Who here said "Any criticism of a woman is misogynistic"? That would be an absurd and stupid thing to say.

Do you understand the definition of misogynistic? How can anyone be a woman hater who just said they rated Claire Byrne highly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"How can a slave owner be racist if he shows favoritism to the housemaid"

Advertisement