Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caitriona Perry going back to America to be a BBC America reporter.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd say he will be devastated to hear you don't like him and won't be watching the news at six anymore.

I love David McCullagh. His no bullsh1t style is refreshing - he doesn't hide his lack of patience with some of the clowns he has to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

He criticised one particular woman and you and others are slurring him as mysogynistic.

That is only logically coherant if you think its valid to call you a misandrist if you ever criticized one man.

He literally praised highly another female presenter so the onus is on you to explain your derogatory slur on this man who has done nothing to justify the label of a woman hater.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He criticised one particular woman and you and others are slurring him as mysogynistic.

Criticising what about her, exactly? Her textualist views on economics? Her feminine looks?

I have not once said misogyny or woman-hater. He isn't using the quote feature and I think he's referring to another poster who did call him misogynistic.

There have been loads of sh1tty comments here about Perry - for no reason. Some of them are based on her sex, be honest. But nowhere have I even hinted that "any criticism of a woman is misogynistic". That's just a preposterous take. The rebuttals to me are such leaps - nothing to do with what I'm saying.

• Advertisement

There have been loads of sh1tty comments here about Perry - for no reason. Some of them are based on her sex, be honest.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Some of them have also been based on her taking the piss.

She achieved the most eminent and high profile role in TV news in Ireland and never showed it any degree of respect or loyalty.

Having spent half of her already short tenure on maternity leave, which is fine, the least she could have done would have been to commit 2 or 3 years more service to the station before making any further career moves.

But no, just 7 weeks after returning to work following her second maternity leave, she announces she's resigning. And don't anyone tell me the BBC deal wasn't already inked when she reappeared in March. If she had any decency and respect for her colleagues and producers all, she wouldn't have returned full stop.

Some of them have also been based on her taking the piss.

Yeaahhh, but yours was among the first to be about the former: sh*tty comments based on sexism.

You're still doing it now, weaponizing her taking maternity leave as a cudgel to be used against her. How dare a woman have kids and move upward in life doesn't she know we should have owned her at least another 3 years etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't know why this is in current affairs in the first place. It's simply an RTE broadcaster getting a new job. If boards had been around the time Fionnuala Sweeney got a job with CNN, would she have been attacked in a similar fashion? The general gist seems to be that she's an ungrateful ugly wench for moving on from RTE and has no interest in her family. Have I got that right? Something tells me that if David McCullough or Bryan Dobson went to the Beeb, we wouldn't be reading half the comments we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Having spent half of her already short tenure on maternity leave, which is fine,

TBF it doesn't sound like you are "fine" with it, whatever the opposite of "fine" is how you sound.

But no in reality and in this century women shouldn't have to be locked into employment because they have the insolence to give birth.

Your opinion is rather fúcking mental TBH.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's any reason really - just resentment that she's doing so well.

And that guy going on about her maternity leave - there's something deeper at play there I'd say. That isn't a normal reaction. People get a good job, then unexpectedly a better one. It happens. Like he gives a toss about her colleagues.

Nobody called her ugly in fairness (just one guy clutching at straws that she needs a good meal).

Alright, to be absolutely clear. I don't give a monkey's about her colleagues, I don't give a monkey's about her maternity leave in itself. What I do give a monkey's about is RTÉ and its agents climbing down people's throats for an unjustifiable licence fee and then being so profligate about how they spend it.

Perry got a 200k salary every year for the past five and a half years, for which she was absent half the time and for which WE had to pay for her substitutes and she now shows no conscience about that investment in her by the station and by the licence fee payers, aka all of us mugs.

If she were a media personality in her beloved USA, her family leave might have lasted three or four weeks before she would have been back behind the news desk, because that is what well paid media contracts require there.

It is my impression, that Caitriona Perry has quite deliberately had her children under the protection of a generous RTÉ contract and of Irish social policies, which guaranteed her a very comfortable back-stop to keep her career ticking over, before availing herself of a new deal to get her back to America and live there long term, with the RTÉ money, our money, in the back pocket.

I believe her failure to show any loyalty to this generous contract - and I picked two or three years as a pro rata to recognise the time she didn't serve - is mercenary behaviour on her part and she should be seen off with no fanfare and no tributes for a job cynically done.

If RTÉ were a wholly commercial enterprise, I wouldn't give a toss, but it isn't, it's a national broadcaster and entity owned by and for the people and I resent her personal conduct here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

How do you know she was paid during her maternity leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't worry she won't be living in the back arse of Detroit or New Orleans. She'll be well looked after.

You don’t care but can’t stop bringing it up and it took up the entirety of your post. Yeah okay.

You’re not any better in your argument than some boss that wants to sexually discriminate against a salary female employee for starting a family at his company and on his payroll. “WE pay for her substitutes” etc you basically accused her of conspiring to steal from you as a result of her sex:

It is my impression, that Caitriona Perry has quite deliberately had her children under the protection of a generous RTÉ contract and of Irish social policies, which guaranteed her a very comfortable back-stop to keep her career ticking over, before availing herself of a new deal to get her back to America and live there long term, with the RTÉ money, our money, in the back pocket.”

Have you read this all back to yourself? You’d be sacked as a CEO coming out with this stuff honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Wow, you come across like a complete misogynist. You're basically trying to say that women should not be entitled to maternity leave, and should be tied to their employer as a result of receiving it.

I could be wrong, but I think she only took about 12 months in total, for both her kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

"Pushes out two sprogs.... " no normal person talks like that these days. It must be a post composed by chatgpg.

A white male Fine Gael voter in his late 40s like me does. Get over it.

And if I was CEO of something, I'd expect far greater loyalty of someone I invested my faith as well as my funds in. I would also follow the letter of the law with respect to any employee's rights, as RTÉ have and as, I'm sure, Caitriona Perry has.

But I'm not talking about contractual minima, I'm talking about career credibility and integrity.

You're moaning poetic about your misogyny. 😐️

Nobody owes you "loyalty" especially not just because they're a woman who had kids.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aren't a lot of RTE presenters contractors rather than employees? If so, she probably didn't get maternity pay!

• Advertisement

I had you pegged for at least 60 😂

Loyalty? She's done a good job at RTE, she doesn't have to limit her ambitions just because she's a woman, as you seem to think.

And as has already been explained to you, she took less that the statutory maternity leave she was entitled to, precisely because she wanted to get back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Don't worry Larbre she will be back to put her children through college here.....then again she may just continue in the US and send them back for relatively free education.

Slava Ukrainii

She can send her kids to college where ever she wants. You guys sound so bitter. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

And then you can all moan when her her kids go off and work in a different country after going to college here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Always struck me as a sensible accountant type , little if any screen presence or charisma , wish her well in her new endeavour but she never overly impressed me

i do like Claire Brock , now there is a fine woman

Advertisement