Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Car Issue

Options
  • 06-05-2023 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate advice on the following:

Purchased a 2nd hand car from an independent dealer. 3 weeks later the DPF (carbon filter) is stuffed and its on the back of a tow truck and back at the dealers. No DPF warning light.

Their position is the warranty (engine and gearbox) doesn't cover the DPF (I can understand this to a degree) - so I would have to eat the cost of repair of around ~500, they would also not be offering a refund willingly.

What are my options/rights here? I have the car less than 30 days.

If I pay for the repair now, I presume it makes it difficult to chase the repair cost in small claims after.

If they refuse refund, then I'm into a solicitors letter scenario - but if they're chased for it I would have imagined my costs re: solicitor would be covered, no?

Chargeback would only get me most of the money back as there was a trade-in involved too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can't comment on who is responsible or not responsible but paying for repairs now shouldn't affect any potential claim you may have. In fact it would be to your advantage when demonstrating out of pocket costs that you wish to recoup. I'm no expert on these matters but if it were me I would certainly notify the seller in writing (and in advance) that you will be looking to reclaim all costs and expenses incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How much was the car and what car is it?

To be honest, you are probably best advised to get it fixed yourself as otherwise they will be messing about, doing enough to clear fault to get you out the door for a few days.

Best course of action might be to get refusal in writing from dealer, get it fixed yourself then try small claims court.

Unless it was a 500 quid car, I'd imagine you will get ruling in your favour

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id be of the opinion that the DPF is an essential part of the engine. They are trying to screw you here by denying its covered - probably saying its part of teh "exhaust system".

Its a bit strange theres no dpf warning light - is the engine light on?

Who said it was DPF that was blocked?

What make / model is it?

Some makes are affected more than others and a blocked DPF can also be caused by a fault in the engine itself - ie failed egr valve, faulty injectors, faulty turbo etc.

Then again they can just get blocked through lack of driving or the wrong type of car for the wrong person. Previous owner could have been someone that shouldnt have had a diesel.

I wouldnt be paying for any repair - Id be fighting for them to fix it.

Are they SIMI registered? If so the SIMI have a really good complaints procedure against their members. If that doesnt wok then a solicitors letter will only cost you a small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks all.

@Hellrazer its an Opel Astra. The DPF had come on the previous week - but a drive at high revs cleared that, albeit temporarily.

You're right on the engine light, that appeared as I was driving and then lost power in a major way - ended up blowing a turbo hose as the DPF was stuffed - confirmed by the tow truck guy who attempted an on-site repair.

What I understand I'm being offered is the removal and cleaning of the DPF - rather than a regen via the garage computer.

While I appreciate it can be difficult to tell when a DPF will pack it in - you'd think they'd get it sorted as standard before selling it (ideally I guess)

They're not SIMI registered as best I can tell (I checked the SIMI website)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is it the 1.6 or 1.7?

1.7s are known for the intercooler pipe failing on the LH side of the car - its not down to the dpf being stuffed but more a failure in the pipe.

The 1.7s are known for the egr being stuffed.

On some Opels you get a message on the dash that says "continue driving" - thats the dpf warning light. And what people do is say the light comes on a couple of minutes from home - they ignore it when they really shouldnt and then the dpf gets stuffed.

Either way the pipe and dpf need attention. If its the 1.7 the egr valve needs to be taken off and cleaned - usually they are full of carbon build up - almost like tar.

Theres no point in just cleaning the dpf and replacing the pipe as you will have the same issue in a few months- on the 1.7 that is.

The 1.6 Ive very rarely seen dpf problems - they seem to regenerate on their own at a lot lower speed so dont get blocked.

If you do get teh dpf cleaned off the car - thats a better option than a regen with the computer but it will still need to go on a computer to get the values reset ie soot levels etc and that may force an automatic regen depending on teh software being used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement