Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using two refrigerators on a double socket.

Options
  • 06-05-2023 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 Skypool

Hi,

is it ok to run two refrigerators into a normal domestic double socket. The fridges are slightly oversized undercounter ones and not the big units.

Each fridge has the following info:

Voltage: 220-240V

Power: 85 Watts. 0.8 A

The socket has been in situ since 2003.

From what I am reading it may be ok but I honestly would like some advice. I’ve no idea if the power quoted is the max power like when first plugged in or is it an average working power and it can go way higher at different times.

apologies for my lack of knowledge on this stuff. Just want it to be safe. It’s the only location I can put the fridges.

many thanks in advance

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Each socket is capable of 13A, and the circuit they are on is likely capable of 32A between all sockets on it.

That 0.8A is going to be continuous or averaged, there will be a higher load when the compressors start, but it won't be anywhere near risky for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Absolutely. No issues doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

A socket would normally be rated for 13amps, so lets just say that double socket might have been a single socket in the past. Then lets say the fridges are 1amp each - 2amps is well below the socket 13amp max draw so you should be fine.

• Double sockets are, rather surprisingly, typically rated at 20 amp max for both sockets in use simultaneously.

So, you should keep the maximum load 4600 Watts or less.

Your two fridges are WAY below that.

Advertisement