Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs running at my kids

Options
  • 06-05-2023 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6 Roger.s

Hi, not sure if I am in the right place, looking for some advice on a problem we started having,

The people few houses down from us let their dogs run free and when they see my kids they start absolutely belting it down to them while my kids are getting scared and trying to run away from them, the latest incident my kids scrambled into the car, went to talk to them telling them that their dogs should be kept under control and away from my kids, their answer was it's a public place and they friendly dogs, so I am looking for anything that I can present to them regarding their dogs under control and perhaps on a leash or something, I'm getting tired of this with them, any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Contact the dog warden

• I’m sure they probably are friendly dogs, and interacting with pet animals can be a very positive thing for children, but the neighbour should keep their dogs under control, especially in a public area! A dog always be under command of its owner and not run up to people who may be nervous, even if dog has a sound temperament. that said, any animal (or person!) can be unpredictable if they get really spooked by an unexpected turn of events, more reason they need to be under very good control.

You can always report to the local dog warden who may do an assessment of the owner/dogs. But maybe better if diplomatic methods could be tried first, like explaining your children are so scared that it is putting their lives in danger if they run away to avoid them. If neighbour could demonstrate the dogs “mean no harm” by a meeting on the lead, that might help your children understand that they are not fearsome and not to have an undue phobia of them or most dogs in general, but of course you would should still request that the dogs be kept from bounding up to your children out of control. It’s a tricky one, but any dog owner should have the cop-on to keep their canines at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Roger.s

That ks for the feedback, they have 2 dogs 1 small one that always reaches the kids within 1 meter as he runs behind the bushes and the white husky type dog is the one that sprints at them, we tried to explain to our kids they are friendly but from a previous incident with another dog they are afraid, I tried talking to the owner but he doesn't care and just said it's a public place and they can run free and do what they want, my kids should not be afraid to play out front due to their dogs not being under control at all times, is there any dog laws about keeping a dog under control or on a leash or something so I can print it out for them and present that to them, I have tried looking but it keeps bringing me to a English dog act, thanks for the fast replies

What county are you in?

County Laois

• Advertisement

Thanks very much, I'll print that out and hand that to them and see if that works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

We had an issue with a local dog before. We were waking up every morning to find dog **** outside the house. Took a while to figure out which neighbours dog it was but it turned into a regular thing. A neighbour was letting their dog out at night to the toilet and it was coming to ours urinating on the walls and **** everywhere.

We had a friendly chat with the neighbour the first time, a not so friendly chat the second time. The third time we informed the neighbour that the next time their dog came up to ours we'd show it some hospitality and feed it. We never saw it again because unfortunately it got knocked down.

Was the owner at fault when the dog got knocked down? I just had enough of it at this stage with them, I tried being nice about it which was ignored and now few minutes ago the owner and his backup decided to stand outside a house closer to our house while their dogs came at me, went over to them tried to explain it again with only ignorant response about being a public place and their dogs are not doing anything illegal so I ended up shouting at both of them and warned them to keep those dogs away from my kids and I had enough of it and to keep them under control and it's my last warning if they want to go down that road, so unfortunately it is starting to look like it cant be fixed in a civilised matter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I just heard one day that the dog was found dead on the road so someone hit it and ploughed on.

I would have a word with the dog warden first to see if they can help before deciding on alternative solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Galaxy00

It's not around Clonkeen/Old Town by any chance?

Just phone or email the council dog warden. He'll give them a call, check for dog licences etc,. Let him do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Record them if you can OP and call the warden. I carry a little can of pet corrector which is basically compressed air for situations like this and a quick spray in the dogs direction will send them packing. One of my dogs is almost 14 and has his little wheelchair, other guy is almost 2 so at that age where a bad experience could set him back, I had major surgery a year and a half ago.. maybe it’s just because I’ve gotten older I don’t know lol 😆 but my tolerance levels have just dropped for asshole dogs and owners like this.

There's no need whatsoever to record them. Just report it to the dog warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

You say the dog runs at you. What does it do when it gets to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Does it matter? It's behaviour that's unwanted, besides they could get hit by a car or stolen. This country is full of arsehole dog owners who shirk any kind of responsibility that comes with owning a dog. Ah shur he's friendly, he wouldn't hurt a fly standard routine.

Record the situation and send to the dog warden.

Totally irrelevant. They shouldn't be running at people or children at all. Not everybody likes dogs. Many people have a fear of dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Garibaldi?

When you take your dog out it is always safest to assume that the people you meet may not like/be afraid of/not want their clothing to be soiled by/their own/children/ mutt intimidated by your darling canine.I always keep that in mind and have never had an issue yet.And most people love the little guy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

At 8:36 you are printing a leaflet to explain things to them and then 2 hours later you are out on the street shouting at them? That is some escalation.

A better idea would be to introduce your kids to the dogs and get them used to each other. This would give a win win. This will not now happen unless you can calm the rhetoric a bit.

The only outcomes from here on unless you calm down are

1. The neighbour backs down completely or

2. Continued escalation on both sides.

This is completely the owner's fault, I don't see why the victimised people should cave in and his carelessness be given a seal of approval. Keep your animals under control, end of story.

Dog wardens should be given more powers to seize problem dogs, that would put manners on many an owner.

Might have been 2 hours Pawwed Rig, but when I see someone doing it on purpose while that person has for some reason a backup which he never has, then I'm not going to back down and I went to have a chat with them, these people don't even do anything when other kids hugging each other tightly scared walking past their house while their dogs run around them and all they say is they are friendly friendly, don't get me wrong it's the owners, I'm not blaming the dogs, there will be no escalation anymore after I confronted the 2 guys that time I think, today the whole cul de sac where we live which has 8 kids played outside and not a sign of those dogs today, no parent should go through seeing their kids afraid outside their own house, anyway thanks everyone for the advice and information, if something else happens I'll keep you all up to date, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Shithead dog owners. This is why we have laws. Report them to the dog warden and get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

These kinds of owners drive me mad. I have a reactive rescue terrier that needs space from other dogs. She is terrified when other dogs run up to her, particularly bigger dogs. There is a fabulous park not far from us but I’ve stopped bringing here there because of dumb**s owners who won’t keep their dogs under control.

Typically their dog runs at mine amid ‘don’t worry he is friendly’ shouts from the owners, they have absolutely no recall so can’t get the dog away when my girl reacts and snarls. I end up waiting for them to get to us and physically take their dog away. Our girl is completely stressed out afterwards and it undoes any training we do with her.

I’d report the dog to the warden OP. It is the absolute height of ignorance not to address the issue after you have said it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

Ugh... Have they not seen the umpteen dog attacks of late in the press!!!!

The law is that dogs should be under effectual control, isn't it? Contact the dog warden and stop engaging with these apes. Odds are they've no dog licences either - and probably not chipped, both of which are LAW. Email a few local councillors and ask them are they going to wait until your child is on local news (and papers) with facial disfigurement/life changing injuries - before someone is gong to ACT on this!

And remember - it's not the poor dogs fault - they're just being dogs.

Please be very careful about the advice you take from Boards. <snip> Your own vet who knows your dog will best be able to advise you on who to contact for training.

Post edited by DBB on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Budgese

I have edited your post to remove inflammatory comments.

Should you wish to discuss this further, feel free to pm me, but otherwise, you can drop that line of posting now, and in future.

Thanks,

DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Whilst I agree that people should be careful about who they take advice from, I'm not sure that I'd recommend asking a vet. There are a few well regarded organisations in Ireland that will recommend trainers - APDT and IMDT Ireland immediately spring to mind.

Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with a vet who had done some behaviour and training courses but then put a punishment collar on one of my dogs while he was under their care. The vet nurse forgot to take it off before handing him back to me.

Vets very often don't know their patients very well, unless they have had major health issues. And on the whole they have no training or qualifications in behaviour and training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

These aren't the OPs dog's though? So there's no need for them to employ a vet to recommend a trainer / find a trainer 🙃

OP how did you get on? I recorded some vicious little dogs the other day trying pull down the mesh inside their garden to come out and kill Rory.. they're now being tethered on a long lead but i'll be avoiding passing that garden from now on(!)

Advertisement