Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Links

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Our group of 12 have been playing Rosapenna for years.

Flip of a coin whether its Sandy Hills or St Patrick's as to which is most enjoyed. Then Old Tom.

Love any of the 3 on any given day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Just after a weekend in Rosapenna.

I've played most of the top links courses here in Ireland and a few in England (Birkdale, Lytham, Hoylake etc) and St Patricks goes straight in at number 3 behind only Royal Portrush and RCD for me.

The place is simply incredible and is only going to get better and better. One thing i see mentioned on this thread earlier and i completely agree with is that the greens will end up being changed. Too many of them are quite ridiculous with the undulations and humps. I don't think if you hit your ball on a green anywhere that 3 putt is inevitable but that is most definitely the case at St Patricks with some crazy slopes.

Hadn't played any of the courses in Rosapenna before and quite honestly the only one i'd go back for is St Patricks.

Sandy Hills is a good course but not worth 3 hours driving to get to and Old Tom Morris while the back 9 is fairly enjoyable, i personally thought the front 9 is very uninspiring. Reminded me of the Cashen Course at Ballybunion, which is not a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

I think sandy hills is a far superior course. St Patrick's feels like a US resort course, except links. In fairness though, that's exactly what they wanted, a Yank magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Agree Sandy hills the best course ..St Patrick's very different and an enjoyable resort experience.

The views are some of the best I have seen on any course..

Greens on St Patrick's on about 6 holes are just silly and unplayable....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I remain bemused that people think a 2-putt from 20-30 feet should be a given. Scoring well at St Patrick's is about a lot of things but, primarily, it is about how well you play on the greens and how quickly you adapt to their slopes and challenges.

The 11th might be a 'bad hair day' type of green but overall I think they are fantastic and fun... and I don't have a problem with 3-putting them.

Adapt to survive!

And a quick edit: look at Royal County Down's greens. Overall they are fairly smooth and singular. Part of the reason for that (in simple terms) is because it's so tough to reach them (blind shots, tricky fairways, bunkering). Once you find the green you can breathe a sigh of relief. St Patrick's is the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's a pity no one in RCD told the putting green what it's siblings are on the course, the slopes on it would scare the bejasus out of first timers!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Yes, very true! A new practice green has been added which is less severe. Also, I should add that "you can breathe a sigh of relief" might be pushing it a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Just back from playing the three courses in Rosapenna. I have played all courses several times. Great golf as usual especially if weather is reasonably kind.

For me Sandy Hills is the toughest and best of the three courses with spectacular views. Each course is quite different in character. The McGinley seniors is played on the Old Tom Morris which I think is the more traditional and easiest of the three.

St Patricks will improve with passing years. For me the greens present the greatest challenge to getting a reasonable score... large greens with severe undulations on many... you have to know where to place your ball on the greens or you will face the real possibility of a 3+ put on many... that's great design. I thought the greens were not quite as slow this time.

All told a great golf venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

how strict are they on the golf ireland membership that is referenced here?

https://www.rosapenna.ie/three-links-tickets-rosapenna.html

planning a golf trip next year, majority of guys are GI members but one or two are not. Usually able to get away with it (golf clubs in my experience don't check for GI membership)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Am a GI member. Been going there years but never asked for proof tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Was up in September and one of our lads wasn't a GUI member.

None of us were asked for anything.

Advertisement