Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to start a watch collection and need advice

• 07-05-2023 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I am looking to start a bit of a watch collection. My max budget for this first watch would be €3000.

The tag heuer aquaracer has caught my eye but I wonder if any one would recommend any other watches in my price range that has potential to increase in value over time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have never been in the position where I could spend 3k on a watch, but there's plenty in here who have, and a lot more, so I would guess you'll get plenty of advice soon.

But I am going to hazard a guess that you'll be advised against a Tag, especially if you are hoping for it to retain value, let alone make gains on it.

3k would buy a very nice watch, but the market has been high over the last few years, and I think only now is starting to fall a bit, so perhaps bargains are few and far between.

You will also have to be very lucky to buy a watch which will increase in value.

But as I said, those that know best will soon be along to advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fitz II

3k is a hefty budget for a start so congrats on that. I am going to make the not ridiculous assumption you like dive watches and sporty watches. As such there are really 3 places to look for a good watch, that has good resale if you decide to move it on and is of good value. Unlikely any watch at that level will increase in value over time, but the trick is to find one that does not tank over time. As you are starting alway best stick with classics. People overestimate the quality of the taste and it takes time fugue out what you like. Tag Heuer ( I own an aquaracer myself) would not be my choice for the start of a collection.

1. Omega Seamaster
    2. Older Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (hard find in budget these days)
    3. Tudor Blackbay

Look through the website and find a model you like and work from there. Your 3k will go much further buying used than new.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

@NIMAN While I do like watches, my knowledge of them is fairly basic and am only familiar with the big brands really. Do you think it could be worth holding out for a few months before making a purchase?

Not really, get started as soon as you can. A good tudor would be my gut instinct....then some nice Omega, and then onto Rolex. There are a number of dead ends out there try avoid them. Usually they are well signposted and its a road well trodden so ask around......and if you want a collection of value and taste please please take on the opinions of others.

If money was no object what watch would you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

3k would be my budget, I'm not really looking for something that would make a profit or anything, just a watch that will hold its value.

Why would you be inclined to avoid tag for a first watch?

What's the website you advise me looking through?

• Advertisement

Tags loose money, Tags are not all that well made and are a bit expensive for what they are. Look at the manufacturer websites and figure out the style of watch you like. Tudor is your only man at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One thing that probably should be pointed out at the very start, is to be very careful.

Not sure if you want to walk into a dealer or jewelers and buy new, or whether you'd be open to buying 2nd hand. If the latter is an option, then tread carefully. There are an awful lot of dodgy sellers and good quality fakes about. If you see something you like, I'd post a link in here, and one of the watch guru's will give you an honest opinion on whether its a decent buy , or to run a mile.

Maybe have a look on the likes of Chrono24, watchfinder websites, and see what you fancy in terms of style. Will also give you an idea of what you'll have to pay.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I was in a very similar position recently.

I started with browsing in my local AD to get an idea of what I liked style wise. Then I asked a few folk I know for advise and came here for a good read of topics and advice.

I already had a tag dress style watch (present) so was looking for something sporty.

A Speedmaster was my first choice but was way over the budget, so my head was turned to Tudor and I picked up a Black Bay GMT.

I would recommend Chrono24, Watch finder, this forum and Adverts. But as mentioned be very careful with used watches and seek advice.

I would also point out that is a slippery slope.. :)

I've since bought a Speedmaster plus a few others...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You've already been pointed in the right directions. I'd add to the chorus of not buying a TAG new. They lose money like it's going out of fashion. Always buy TAG used/secondhand/previously loved and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭griffin100

From my point of view I'd consider what type of collection are you looking to build. Are you happy with a collection of watches around the €3k mark that may or may not hold their value for resale, or are you hoping to work your way up to a Rolex or similar by flipping watches at a profit? How much cash are you happy to keep tied up in watches as an asset and are you seeking profit or happy with a small loss if and when you go to sell on.

In my case I could never in my head justify keeping so much money tied up in a watch so I have a collection of more modest pieces that all in all cost less than €3k. Funnily though I have a collection of bicycles and wheels that cost much more than that!!

For my €3k I have a Nomos Glashutte Tangente; Seiko Prospex SRPE37K1; Solas Starlight; Seiko Chronograph; Seiko Perpetual Calendar; Festina Chronograph; G Shock GA-2100-1A1ER; and a G Shock 2100- 1AER. I'm toying with the idea of getting a Steinhart Ocean One Black as my last watch.

Oh and I also have an otherwise pristine Tag Heuer Aquaracer with a broken crown sitting in a draw. I've never gotten around to having it repaired. Like so many, it was my first 'proper' watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭micks_address

if i was starting out with 3k id try and buy a secondhand omega seamaster... probably not the latest reference but you might get one on a rubber strap for that budget.. maybe an older reference for sure.. on the speedmaster 3k would have bought one in 2020 but probably at the 4k mark now.. they do seem to hold their value very well at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

My advise is buy what you like but make sure that the watch size fits your wrist well. Pay attention to the case size and lug-to-lug distance as these have impact on wareability. Also thick cases may not want to slip under the cuff that easily.

Longines Spirit Zulu Time is a very interesting watch that is well made. It I also has a true gmt complication that comes in very handy if you travel. Had seen it in the metal and I was impressed.

Sinn, Ball, Seiko Prospex also make great ‘tool watches’.

It really depends what type of watch you are after.

Post edited by walus on

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭redlead

I'd kind of forget about the idea of building a collection. Buy the best watch you can now and enjoy it for a couple of years. Youd be amazed how much your tastes will change over that time as you get more into it. Don't rush into buying anything else just for the sake of having a few watches. I'd agree that something like a Tudor Blackbay is a fantastic place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Same here, never really got the point of having a collection.

I always liked a nice watch though and it sneaks up on you. First I bought one that I really liked. Because why not, a man ought to have a decent watch if he likes a watch. And then another one of a different style which I liked even more. Then another one I just couldn't pass over cos it was so pretty. Then another one which I thought was the absolute best ever. Then sold one then bought one and so on. And while I always insisted I wouldn't start a collection I now have a handful of decent to good watches and I'm thinking wtf have I all these watches for?

So I'm done now. I'll keep the one that I really really like and a cheaper one I also really like for occasions where I don't want to wear the good one. And the rest will have to go. Because most of the time they're just sitting in that collection box anyway. Which I can't even show to anyone 'cos everyone I know would think what a load of dicky.

From what I gather on forums a lot of 'collectors' go through the same or similar cycle, varying in length and size and money but similar all the same.

Long story short. You may end up with a collection but why would you want to go out deliberately to start one?

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

To make money apparently. He wants watches around €3k that will go up in value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

If the main requirement is for the watch to go up in value then it may be better ti look at some of the micro/artisan brands i.e. Kurono, Ming etc with watches only in limited series. Kurono will have one up soon enough.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,323 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If the main requirement is for the watch to go up in value then the main thing is profit, not actually a watch.

If you're trying to make profit, you should be looking at things that turn a profit. Watches generally depreciate and more importantly, they're really made to be worn. Things that are worn suffer scratches and knocks. You don't really wear investments.

Oh gosh....the microbrand ship has sailed a long time ago and the vocal youtubers are not resuscitating that no matter how much they shill their stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭893bet

• Advertisement

Advertisement