Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Now that was a real cowardly wheelsucking c_nt of a winner.

Obviously Valverde is coaching riders at Movi now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thomas Gloag from Jumbo is happy out 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

ahhhh, just realised I had pressed pause earlier for tea so was 4km behind ye

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

One of the least popular GT stage winners in a while? Cepeda got all the hate but Rubio did nothing either.

A terrible GT grand tour too. Two weeks in and TTs aside, the only real split was 14 seconds on a COVID riddled Remco. Riders should be told to fcuk off next time they moan about a bit of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Pretty dull GC day in the end. Eddie obviously feel good

Never have an issue with any “wheel suckers” winning. Love Pinot but a cool head there and he might have won

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

A good grand tour from an Irish point of view so far but yeah in general disappointing up to now. We are owed an absolute whopper of a third week. Will Healy target Sunday to give us something to shout about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Just delighted that Cepeda did not win, he won't be popular in breaks in future so not sure what he was playing at.

As much as I wanted Pinot to win, I don't think he deserved it either by riding so poorly up the climb and not putting Cepeda at the front. At least Rubio done work in the valley and your can't blame him for leaving the 2 lads arguing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm definitely now an anyone bar G or Rog to win this. With Jumbo happy to keep Ineos in pink Sky Training it for the next while it's a recipe for boredom. Assuming Eddie can't do it I'm shouting for Almeida from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Almeida attack anyone to be fair.

Or a cool head on Pinot and nobody wins.

You can risk losing by taking your turn or risk it by being caught. Both can work or fail but I know which one I respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Caruso and Carthy were the only brave GC riders today so I'm shouting for them.

I honestly can't believe the GC riders didn't do something today. A huge chance for Roglic and/or Thomas to try distance the opposition.

I don't really blame the GC guys today because the short stage means everyone is too fresh for an attack. Can't see Eddie off the front if that was the end of a 180km stage.

This a screen grab from GCN coverage showing Mark Cavendish crossing the line. But check out the Intermarche rider on the right hand side... his bike is tiny 😂 😂 😂 Maybe he was on a team mate's bike or his seat post had slipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stats question, look at the Pro Cycling results page for today's Giro stage, and it has Thomas leading the GC and 20 UCI points beside him. No other riders have points on that table.

For the stage positions, there's UCI points for 1 - 15.

Does that mean there are UCI points for leading the GC classification in a stage race at day's end?

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-d-italia/2023/stage-13-gc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yep 20 points per day for the Giro for holding the leaders jersey. Same with the Vuelta, and then 25 for the TdF. Only for those 3

I think he is just sitting on the bar for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Stage 7 still holds the "maglia grigia" but a good effort at the podium from Stage 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Almeida usually only attacks once he's been dropped, and then its only guys who has earlier dropped him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The design of this race is stupid. Supposedly epic stage on Friday. Not their fault it gets cut. Then Saturday is a nothing stage. The big GC battle should be today and tomorrow.

We’ve had lots of car 2,3,4 climbs but feck all real mountains. I thought this Giro was going to be exciting, but it’s brutal

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Christ, I just looked at tomorrow’s stage. No GC battle again.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Yes you can't blame Rubio. Pinot as entertaining as he was rode like a novice. They had plenty of time at the end and he could have done a lot less on the front and they would still have had a gap coming into the final km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Another waste of a stage today, it would appear. A "breakaway " the size of a Dom Whiting drum'n'bass event is over 6 minutes up the road. The only excitement is watching a variety of pros making a complete balls of putting on leg warmers and capes.

Oh, and it's raining again.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

A "breakaway " the size of a Dom Whiting drum'n'bass event

😂😂😂😂 Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Beginning to happen a bit now in the breakaway. It is depressing though watching that weather, just like the worse of what we get here in Ireland

Posted in wrong thread.

they/them/theirs

I wonder are Ineos happy to give the jersey to someone like Amaril for a couple of days. Seems like a good move

Cracking finish in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Torrey

Didn't see the stage today, anyone know what happened to Dunbar, he came home in last today?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Reading Eddie punctured and changed bike 8km from finish. He finished in peloton

Advertisement