Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefit and holiday pay

• 08-05-2023 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ive recently (Thursday) undergone major surgery and I will be out of work for 6 weeks minimum. I had 2 weeks annual leave left from last year and was able to hold on to them to use for the surgery. I know I can’t claim illness benefit while I’m getting holiday pay. I’ve just noticed that it says I need to apply within 3 days. Is it possible to apply and mention on the form that I am using my holiday pay to cover the first 2 weeks and would like to only claim for the last 4? I don’t want to mess it up and not get paid but also the benefit isn’t enough to cover my rent and credit Union loan. So I wanted to use it for as little a time as possible. I’m also paid monthly so I would be due the holiday payment at end of this month would this confuse things more? I don’t want it to look like I’m trying to pull a fast one and claim holiday and sick pay.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

Why are you using holiday leave to cover your surgery and recovery time? Of,course it's your choice.I believe that an illness benefit claim should be made from the first day(your last day of work).You are correct about the 3 day limit.I don't know but I'm sure you will face difficulties claiming illness benefit 14 days after your illness commenced.The benefit is not intended to restore you to employment paid levels.Could you not apply for a new CU loan to cover your costs?

I look forward to further replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

To be honest I just thought it would be a little extra payment for me and less to have to take from the social welfare. Figured win win I didn’t think it would cause an issue. I should have looked into it more. Now I’m worrying about it. I don’t want to cause myself an issue I might just have to cancel the annual leave and take the hit for 6 weeks. I genuinely thought trying to have to use less welfare payments would be a good thing.

Advertisement