Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet switch or hub or what?

Options
  • 08-05-2023 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I have VM BB at the moment.

Out of port 1 on the back of the modem I have an Ethernet cable going to an 8 port gigabit Ethernet switch.

All ports on the switch are used.

I can use internet and email no probs and watch YouTube etc but when I go on a teams call the line drops and I have no internet connection.

My wife who is using Wi-Fi is fine.

I plugged the Ethernet going to my office out of the switch and straight into the VM modem and I’m back online taking teams calls no probs.

So I’ve figured out it’s the Ethernet switch that must be faulty- but is there a better way of doing this setup?

The switch is a Technomate TM-8GIGA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

I have a similar issue and it's only with MS teams and one of my colleagues who also has a Mac has the same.

We all have different switches. I upgraded the firmware of my Netgear and still the same.

Most of the time the teams app wont even connect. For me as it says I'm not connected to the internet or says connecting when everything else works. Colleague says the same always thought it was down to Mac but still the same since I got a new Mac at the start of the year. Are you using a Mac by any chance? Are you using the teams app or in browser. I find the browser more reliable.

When I have calls on WebEx or zoom everything is perfect. Audio and video is clearer. #bringbackzoom

Try to upgrade the switch firmware and see if that does anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Make sure there's no loops; that is, a cable going from one port on the switch to another on the same switch. Other than that there shouldn't be anything wrong with how you've set it up so it could be a faulty switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I can use internet and email no probs and watch YouTube etc but when I go on a teams call the line drops and I have no internet connection.

When you say "no internet connection" does a ping to the router stop? Leave a ping running and re-test that.

That router is pretty low-end, and sometimes you can get away with that, but when it come to Teams it does have a requirement for low latency but is also very "bursty". All of the same, your internet connection should not be dropping when Teams is started. I suspect that the router could be overloaded by the high count of frames coming from the laptop and it drops the port.

Do one other test: take out all other devices off the router and just leave the laptop in and a ping to the router running - does the connection still drop and/or does the latency increase?

Advertisement