Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking recommendations for renovation work south dublin

• 09-05-2023 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭

Getting crazy quotes to renovate a 4 bed detached house south dublin (no ext involved). What kind of quotes are people getting for similar work ? Can anyone recommend someone who updated their house recently (rewire/replumb for new gas boiler/copper piping/insulate internally/new windows/update bathrooms x 2/new kitchen/knock through kitchen/diner) not too expensive and was a did a good job.. please pm me. Thanks

Post edited by society4 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Out of curiosity what quotes have got to-date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭society4

200-250k

Like everything until we get a breakdown it’s very hard to tell.

How many sq metres are you retrofitting?

what allowances are you getting for kitchens etc?

Are you replacing floors and going for under floor heating etc

is the quote before or after grants?

General rule of thumb a few months ago was €1500 a sq metre for a full retrofit. Are you going with a builder or one stop shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭society4

144sqm/no UFH or digging up floor/run new copper pipes as gun barrell pipes currently/laminates throughout/kitchen - 20k budget/builder quote before grants

Quotes are around 1500 per sq meter. In my opinion for what you have described it’s on the high side based on my research. My advice is shop around as some builders are still quoting high in the hope people will bite. People are accepting for various reasons and circumstances but I’m not sure that will last.

My architect said that for the first time in years he has had builders come to him enquiring about work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

A friend of mine is in the window trade and he said sales have dropped a good bit so people aren't willing to pay the crazy prices being quoted. ALso said prices are coming back a bit for the winows they sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭fliball123

Crazy money to be paying. Everything is coming down we have 40k more workers working in construction in mid 2022 than was working in the biz in 2021 and an active drive since then to get more workers in. We have more workers and with access to cheap credit no longer affordable for a huge sector of customers who this time last year were hunting in the renovation market it means these jobs are drying up big style, this can be seen by the construction outputs and PMIs. Have a look at the SCSI website for a guide this was from Sept of last year and is used for rebuild purposes now note raw materials, petrol and energy have come down in that time as well., Get at least 4/5/6 quotes and don't be talked into anything (as the lads are great at the spiel sh1t likes ah we can start next week but if you wait it will be next year yada yada) until you have your quotes and if you do it right play them off each other also get a full break down of costs and ensure you agree a daily rate as another great thing these guys do is take wads of your cash off you and then head off using it to seed and work on other jobs meaning they are not actually doing yours and leaving it on the long finger there is also a high increase in companies hitting the wall so best to keep your exposure to this at a minimum.

https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

@kevgaa - in terms of you Arch how have you found them? We've kicked off the process with one, extremely early days but not overly impressed to date.

If you're happy to share their details via PM would really appreciate it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CASQS

Spent the last few weeks looking at houses in south Dublin, and squeezing as much local knowledge on cost/m2 from the auctioneers as possible.

1. New build -€2,500 to €3,500
    2. renovation (full elec, plumb) €700-€1,000

All Auctioneer said go to an architect for a recommendation or a builder. This is dangerous, as an arch recommendation COULD mean a kickback arrangement. Investigate the scope the arch is providing, if no BIll of Quantites provided in scope, contact a Quantity Surveyor to knock one up from the arch final design.. The market has many sole QS’s that can do this. Get as many builders to price as possible. Don’t pick the cheapest straight off the bat, research their quotes and quality of previous work. Might seem a lot of hastle, but it’s the price of a phone call or email to identify risk and mitigate it. Know what you want before starting and freeze the scope. Extra work will kill your budget.

Advertisement