Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin TV distribution advice/options

Options
  • 09-05-2023 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

My parents have one of the older Virgin TV boxes and were using a HDMI modulator to send the signal upstairs via a coax cable (standard TV antenna type cables)

Unfortunately due to the thunderstorms last night, the modulator is toast. This happened with their previous Technomate modulator so we replaced it with a Triax one and used a power surge protector. Seems now though that these surges are coming in off the coax used for the Virgin box and are travelling through the HDMI lead into the modulator and burning out the HDMI ports

They've only had this modulator less than a year and the one before that for about 2 years. They're expensive so they're reluctant to buy another, only for the same thing to happen again (I've no idea how to protect them from surges over the HDMI)

I'm looking at other options but the reason we used the modulators in the first place is because they don't have internet and were using existing coax connections in the house. The house was externally insulated a couple of years ago so running any new wires is difficult

At this stage I was telling them to just pay for another multi room subscription but Virgin no longer do the old coax boxes and they would need to get internet to use the new 360 stuff. Just an extra expense for something they won't use or really need

Is there any options here that won't cost a small fortune?

I was thinking of getting some HDMI over IP extenders and running the ethernet from these over some powerline adapters but I'm not sure if that would work without a local network/modem already in place.

Any tips or advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If the surges are coming in through the Virgin Media network then it sounds like an issue for them to fix. The isolator box on the wall has DC blocking caps to prevent stray power going in or out so this could be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

I never knew that! Can they be easily replaced? Although I can see some inline ones on Amazon

Not sure what to say to Virgin if we tried to get them to fix it. Surely they wouldn't be too happy with the setup! Although, now that I think about it, a previous Virgin box had its HDMI go in similar circumstances so maybe we could use that as an excuse

Advertisement