Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need to rewire

• 09-05-2023 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all im currently in the process of putchasing a property it has the old wiring system. Everyone is telling me i need to rewire but its working perfectly?

However i may need to replace the kitchen and put in a new bathroom so i would probably need the place rewired for this, or could i just do it off the old system?

Im basically just trying to do this as cheap as i can. all advice appreciated, thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

How old is the current wiring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Has the property been assessed by an electrician and determined that it needs to be rewired?

While I definitely understand the desire to keep costs down while buying a house, your hands may be tied to some extent

Depending on the state of the current wiring, there might be some workaround or it might need to be rewired, only an electrician can really determine this

Given you're planning on redoing the kitchen and bathroom, this will probably require some electrical works, so it isn't a case that you can just skip the rewiring

Even if you can avoid it this time, it might come back to haunt you every subsequent time you need some electrical work done

So perhaps it's better now to get it out of the way while you're already budgeting for other work?

Maybe you'll have to live with the current kitchen and bathroom for a while longer and budget for the rewiring

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

Post some pictures of the consumer unit, your meter and a few accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ETRY

Thaks all for the info, im not sure how old the wiring is im currently stuck in probate as soon as solicitor says all is ok ill get a survey done and see what he thinks about electrics. Cheers for the info ill probably be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

Make sure they survey is done by an electrician, not a general house surveyor. House surveyors may have zero electrical knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Needs a REC alright surveyors can't be relied upon to make a call correctly

Advertisement