Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options
  • 09-05-2023 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭

Time to start a dedicated thread for this one, I think. Who's in?

Transfer system has been announced so all is not lost for anyone who missed out on the lottery.

Focusing on Berlin myself this year but might still do DCM in some capacity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭racersedge

I’m in again for my sins. Coming back after running through an injury last time out on the streets that required three months out (that does remind me to restart a blog here… 🤔)

Still some… sensation, for lack a better word, in the groin that at least I’d getting more comfortable the more mileage that goes on it. At least a transfer/refund system is my ‘get out of jail’ card if I was to feel that things aren’t right by the the height of the summer.

Focus is purely on Dublin. I’ve got Dunshaughlin and Antrim placed in part of the training, but not actively looking for much more in terms of race events unless coach decides otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheRef

I'm in as well.

Was a boards novice from last year. Finished 4:11 and looking to knock 20 mins off that time. Still have time to figure out plan for this year - Daniels 2Q or Pftizinger. Probably the latter as its simpler and currently following the half 12/76km plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭omicron

Have an entry but think I'll sit it out this year and focus on XC season instead. Luckily have a friend looking for an entry so the transfer system couldn't have come at a better time!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Any details on how the transfer system works? I may be interested in an entry and missed the good-for-age window.

I don't see details of this on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭omicron

Can't see anything yet only basing it off the press release, but given they're also offering refunds in June I'd imagine there'll be plenty of entries available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm not sure I'd admit this out loud at home, but I'm quite tempted to try get an entry when the transfers/refunds happen.

I have my first half in July, which from a practical point of view probably leaves me with a pretty good base to start training for the full.

The other side of that coin is I've never ran longer than 90 minutes yet, so who knows how I'll fare even at the half!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

I have an entry so I am sure I will do it. But this might be my last year of DCM, just getting a bit expensive. Time to go to a few others in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Refunds available from 29th May - 16th June (though it could be 19th June, as there is an error on the email saying Monday 16th June). Disappointed to have to avail of this, but hopefully I'll get in next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I honestly think end May/early June is way too soon for refunds. Anybody starting an 18 week programme for Dublin wont start until June 26th so injury/doubt wont set in for a while. I have an entry but will hold out until the transfer date just in case a miracle happens and I get the all clear to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭jlang

But later than May-June probably starts getting too late to resell the entries. Of course before the days of selling out all the entries you used to be able to sign up until quite close to the date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm debating whether to get the refund or not and could use some advice please.

I've a Achilles issue that's historically taken me a long time to recover. I did a five km easy run yesterday (first run in two months) and while it was ok I could tell the Achilles wasn't fully right yet. I'm 52 so don't heal as quickly as I used to.

All going ideally I could do a very slow DCM I think. If I keep my entry but the injury doesn't heal I will be guaranteed a spot next year as a previous entrant if the DCM organisers run entrance the same way.

However if I take the refund and I train carefully i'll hopefully be in good shape for 2024, plus someone else gets my place in 2023.

There's the rub, if I give this year up, next year isn't guaranteed.

Given knee issues (as well as Achilles) I feel I've one more marathon in me.

I'm too emotionally invested to make a decision, what do you suggest?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Runster

I personally dont know the rules of giving back your entry. I would've thought that if you give up your entry officially this year you will be recorded as not running it for 2023 and you become null and void as another person will replace your name and fee. So how would you be guaranteed entry to 2024? Thats the first thing you need to clarify. You should contact Dublin Marathon directly to find that out.

On the injury front, if your leg isnt healed and you havnt even started training yet then how are you going to feel when the long runs kick in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

30 euro " admin fee " to refund my Dublin marathon entry .

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

Jesus - 30 Euro admin fee? That’s a joke!

if anyone is thinking of availing of the refund and doesn’t want to pay a 30 admin fee , my partner is looking for a number. He didn’t apply first time round but he has the itch now to do another marathon after doing Belfast in April. Is it July the transfer window is hopefully opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 raincoatmean

I joined and this will be my last DCM year

If they are looking for a €30 "admin fee" for refunds you can be sure there will be a similar charge for transfers.

Yea didn’t think about that. But surely there’s more admin work in a transfer of a place than a refund so you might say ok fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

whats the story after refunds are processed. is a new batch of places being offered to people who are looking for a place and want to run it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AFAIK the refunded entries will be offered to those unsuccessful in the lottery 6 months ago

That’s fair enough. Will have to see if I can manage to find someone who wants to transfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

I'd say you will get someone in around August who will do that

Ok, so it's 4 clicks of a mouse instead of 2 it in no way warrants such a savage charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

Hi folks

Anyone any idea when the marathon organisers will release their 2023 programme? Can only see 2022 online, I'm guessing it won't vary much.

Also, first full marathon for me so trying to decide between advanced Dublin programme or Hal Higdon Novice 2,anyone got experience of either? Have completed a number of HM's and 5k,10k races.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi there, no idea about the programme but doesn’t change much year to year. You should come join the Mentored Novice thread. We have plans and advice and loads of info the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

Thanks Kellygirl will join that thread 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pc11

Just a thought, but they should give an incentive to give up your place this year by putting you in the pot for next year. Something like this:

1. people who finished the race this year get first priority for 2024 just like usual
    2. people who give back their 2023 place get next priority for 2024
    3. those who are registered for 2023 but don't run are next in line

this helps to keep a bit of turnover in the system. People who are on the fence about taking the refund this year will know they can do it next year instead. This helps people who are keen to run this year to get a place.

Cant imagine there will be many fence sitters with it costing €30 for the privilege of applying for a refund and I'm sure it will be a similar cost for a transfer, they will either just run it or sell their number for the full value (€113) on the black market....I know...I know thats illegal but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

If anyone has an entry they aren't going to use this year, I'd happily take it, ran it last year and didn't think I'd want to do it this year, but have the itch.

🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 11 grennans2

Similarly, I’m also looking for an entry for this year’s marathon. Missed the boat when the entries came out so if anyone is looking to transfer their entry in July please let me know. Would be my first marathon! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

Same as above! Ran the last number of years (excluding COVID times) but didn’t take up the option to take a place after last year’s marathon, foolish in hindsight, but at the time didn’t think I’d want to go again but very sorry I didn’t just take up the option. Happy to take up a transfer place if anyone has one!!!

Advertisement