Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

Not on the northside dart north of howth unfortunately. Same story for the past few years - maintenance on Oct bank hol weekend on the section from howth to Drogheda.

you’d almost think all these people are unaware of each other 😄😛

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

btw, DCM are replying to questions about having someone else pick up your bib that they need prior approval, as well as the signed letter thing. Could be a mess at the rds, so be aware

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Did you ever hear such nonsense. Sure anybody could sign a letter! I don't see the point here.

Does it matter? Is it over subscribed after the refund window? I can imagine many people sign up, decide its too far and get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Folks, I assume 2023 route is the same as last year?

Found 2022 GPX file for PacePro, PP worked great for me on Run Galway Bay so will use it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I can't get PacePro on Garmin to start: it's on my watch, but it does not start when I start the run (stuck at 0:00).

Anyhow, there is a little design problem with PacePro for a course such as Dublin where it is more hilly (or more undulating) at the start: you have to gauge the split between negative/positive yourself (should it be 30'' negative split or more?). There is no way of disabling the split feature as far as I can see.

So I think I'll just stick to +15'' on hills and -15'' on descents...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Has there been much decent swag in the race pack over the last few years?

I have a race number, but not running this weekend. Will be in Meath anyway, so considering popping down to the expo to collect my race pack, but am worried it will be mostly tripe

• Race number
    • Safety pins
    • Some energy gel
    • a nutri grain bar
    • load of leaflets

Presume it's not really worth my while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Thanks - I think I can survive without it :)

Exact same route this year.

I have never understood how anybody could do a negative split in Dublin to be honest but maybe that's just me. I tried it one year and it failed miserably.

The hills from Clonskeagh to Fosters Avenue are tough at the time they arrive. There are others who can no doubt do it but to me its a case of maintaining a pace as much as you can and if you have anything in the tank at the top of the hill at Roebuck you go for it and leave it all between there and the finish line.

As I say, just my opinion and there are plenty who no doubt can do it. I just couldn't.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know how the route has changed over the years? Sonia O'Sullivan in Irish Times saying about a finish in Smithfield back in the day.

How has the route changed over the years anyone know? I remember the finish around Trinity College and up Nassasu Stret which for me is still the best finishing route in the event. Coming around Trinity and the wall of noise that meets you from there just has not been replicated with the new finish on Northumberland Road and Mount Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It used to reverse every year back when I did my first in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I had it on last year and switched it off, it was very distracting. I had set up for neg splits, easy on the hills etc, but I found there were just to many variables on the day so that if I was behind at any point it was mentally putting me under pressure. If you are good with monitoring your pace and effort on the hills and have an idea of key split along the course then I think that is sufficient. I tested mine first using a gpx of a local route which worked fine and then it worked fine off the start of the route in DCM

I would love to see that happening, it would be so nice to change it up a little bit. I'm sure logistically its hard to change the route and involves a lot of planning but reversing the direction would be a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ro_p_ro1986

So far this week I've convinced myself of the following:

1. I've pulled a muscle in my thigh
    2. I am getting a cold or flu
    3. I am abnormally tired and lethargic
    4. I haven't gotten enough sleep
    5. My resting heart rate is higher than normal
    6. I am constantly dehydrated

None of it likely true. All in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭Trampas

Looks like I’m out. Head cold earlier in week and now vomiting. Was just a training run for me but the thoughts of running 42km is daunting

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Just out of the expo, pretty painless - no queues, quick gander at the stalls, picked up a few freebies and out the door. To be fair to them it is fairly well run and setup to minimise waiting (still would rather postage option tough!)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

If you're vomiting today I wouldn't run a marathon in less than 48 hours that's for sure (don't come near the expo either please!) I ran Valencia last year with some kind of non-covid virus and it was my worst experience ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

I tried PacePro last year and enabled course navigation and it caused my watch (Garmin 745) to freeze. Tried to set it up twice and had to do a hard reset each time and by the time I got it back I was around the 5k mark.

Needless to say distracting and I obviously had partial data then for my run. I believe I have used this successfully for races in the past with no issue, but it might just have been more congested for Dublin Marathon so finding a signal may have been the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Hi folks,

collected my race pack today, I presume I don’t need anything on Sunday other than to show up with my race number on? I won’t be bringing a phone with me.

with regards the waves, I’m hoping to move up to 3 from 4, how does anyone know what wave you’re actually in? It doesn’t say anything on the race number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

If you have anything to drop off (bag/clothes/phone/etc), make sure it's in the plastic bag they gave out at the expo and has your bib-number sticker on it.

Bibs don't have the numeral for the wave number but they are colour coded according to the wave (orange/green/etc). The stewards do their best to check everyone at the choke points and only let people with the right colour bibs into the relevant areas. Signposting and maps have same colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

ah ok that makes sense, cheers for the response,

best of luck to everyone, my first time doing it, excited and apprehensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

Are we singing Zombie at running now too 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

I have done every single one of these too if you replace thigh for calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've never had reason to move up a wave, but every time I've done Dublin I like to get in early to my wave area and relax a little, generally I find a spot to sit and listen to some music for an hour, get into a good headspace.

As a result when entering I either have my bib covered by about 4 layers or it is still in a bag, and I don't recall anybody ever looking for it. (They check it at the main entrance, but I'm talking about the wave areas).

Honestly, if I wanted to move from wave 4 to 3 I would just wear a couple of layers and go into wave 3. And if you're worried about them pulling you out when the wave moves up to the start line, just keep a top layer on for the start and ditch it at a water station. Plenty of people do that anyway.

Or just start in wave 4, they all end up a cattle mart either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Combo.

For the number collection, are they ok to scan from your phone or do I need to print out?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The phone is fine. I used mine today 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Absolutely no problems getting my race number and also collecting someone else’s. Was in at 5:50pm and no queues. Each volunteer was just so nice and warm and full of well wishes.

Had a quick look around the expo, felt like there wasn’t as many stands there as last year and there seemed like gaps where there was supposed to be a stand. It probably made a difference that it wasn’t a busy time unlike other times I was there. If you want to treat yourself to some new running clothes or stock up on gels, there’s plenty there. I wanted to get a finisher frame but they didn’t have what I was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Does anyone know if there will be a livestream this year? There was not last year from what i remember:-( Also i don't know anyone doing it this year, seems to have gone way down in popularity amongst those i know although i'm sure the numbers will be good. It's just gone too expensive and signing up a year in advance when you don't know if you would even be alive by then, and the cost of staying in Dublin for non-residents. I thought it's heyday was about 09-16 myself..Even the race series had loads going up from outside but that seems to have stopped too. Anyways fairplay to all doing it.

Advertisement