Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

In fairness I only started running seriously in February, so missed the two of the first two chances. There was no way to sign up to be notified of places being available (as far as I know). The only reason I seen they were available last week was because I saw it posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Same boat as yourself, hopefully I'll find a kind soul that might be willing to transfer. In any case hope all the runners are doing well in training. I hopefully will be joining ye if not this year in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭event

I've never known anyone who wanted to run Dublin and couldn't. You'll get a ticket. Might be September, but you'll get one

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kd82

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I think the 30 euro fee on the person buying the ticket is a bit to much. I think it would be fairer if both parties involved in the transaction had to cover something of the transfer fee. For example, if it is a 30 euro transfer fee then the seller should get charged/deducted 15 euro for their part for what they receive and the buyer pays an extra 15 euro on top of the ticket price.

Edit: maybe I am misunderstanding the process here as the person making the transfer won't receive anything. If that is the case then it's fair the person getting the ticket pays the cost of the transfer. I was misunderstanding this as a sort of reselling function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

So if you have an entry that you paid €113 for and you transfer it the person getting the entry is charged €30 through Eventmaster. I assume that somebody has to pay you the €113, does that refund come from Eventmaster or do you have to chase the recipient of the entry for it ???? It is very very confusing.

It says in the email

Please note that once accepted and the transfer fee has been paid, the ticket transfer is final and cannot be undone. This is not a refund and there is no transfer of funds via the Eventmaster platform back to the original ticket holder.

I dont think its confusing at all.

Person A has an entry.

Person B wants it.

Person A starts the transfer process by steps in the email. Person B completes it, paying the €30 fee.

Transfer complete on Eventmaster.

The purchase of the entry from Person A by Person B is handled entirely separately and up to both A & B to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Where do people sell their entries online? This transfer thing isn't going to work I can tell already.

It's going to work perfectly. I genuinely don't see how this is complicated.

People sell them on Facebook, Instagram, done deal etc etc.

It's the exact same as transferring concert tickets via ticketmaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I'd be interested in buying a transferred number if anyone is looking to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jnk883

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

I think It’s absolutely crazy in times where people don’t have money to be charging €30 admin fee! I got a notification last week after a routine check up something found by my doc so will have to undergo a major operation more than likely at the end of June - am going for an MRI tomorrow. I emailed DCM to explain saying that will need at least 6 weeks recovery after so won’t be ready for DCM. I’d get a note from consultant. I was looking to transfer my entry to 2024. The response I got was basically no - apparently it has to be an exceptional case ie pregnant or cancer - seriously!!! I have ran four times in Dublin - back in the days especially when none was running. I see less and less people from clubs I have ran with over the past 20 years run Dublin and now I understand.

Between this, money and no accommodation in Dublin I will definitely be looking to do a marathon hopefully when recovered from operation in 2024 abroad. It’s way cheaper, accommodation cheaper plus you get a break away.

Be careful here also or on other boards especially on Facebook pages where your name can be seen if you looking to transfer your number. Apparently you have to have to have ID now to pick up number in RDsS. I have done major races including a marathon abroad and it was nothing like that. I was looking to transfer my number a few years ago to anyone as a close relative passed. I understood because it was so close to the race why they did not refund me. When it came to the time of race numbers being issued I found out through event master that my entry was cancelled without my permission !! I chased it and got no response.

You will sell your number easy and won't have to pay the €30. That's on the buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eddie1989

Joining the queue here looking to buy a ticket transfer if someone is selling, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Don't want to derail this thread, but got sorted with a transfer this evening from this user. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

Interested in buying a transfer if anyones selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Where did you hear you need ID to pick up entries?

My only issue is it allows for touting as the final step is completely outside official channels, administratively I'm sure it's the easiest way to do it though.

One logistic thing with DCM I didn't think about was collecting the tag. I need to show my face at something at home the evening before, so I need to make a trip to Dublin on Friday or Saturday just to collect the number and go back home again, feels like such a waste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

It's been like that for a number of years now.

If you're collecting on someone's behalf you need a copy of their ID.

As always some people aren't as strict as others.

tbf, there is no way Eventmaster could start transferring the money between two peoples accounts, the logistics and the workings of it are way too complex and not something they would be able to do.

And yeah the collecting number is a pain, but someone else can do it for you so again, not a massive blocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭kd82

I got a transfer yesterday. It was straightforward. I paid the 30 fee and then sorted 'Person A' privately outside of eventmaster. That's up to the individuals to figure out I guess. I was happy to pay for the peace of mind of an official entry for my first marathon.

Maybe if people don't pay Person A until the 30 fee is paid (and spot secured) will prevent touting? It actually puts the risk on Person A vs Person B.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

I know, unfair for people who don’t live in Dublin and more pressure to stay up the night before. I don’t know many people who live in or near Dublin plus many people in my club don’t do the marathon anymore with price of it. Dublin accommodation crazy last few year. They go abroad instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭Trampas

Price of the marathon isn’t that expensive compared to other big city marathons around.

This is the same for a lot of marathons, not just Dublin. I did Cork in June and had to travel down the night before to get a bib. Belfast is the same. Longford is the same

I suppose they could have done it similar to how they did the refunds last month I guess. Initiate transfer from A to B, When B pays full amount + admin fee, A gets refunded.

Ah cool, didn't realise that was an option. There is a few people from the local run club doing it so maybe that will work out for me.

For reference, from the FAQ:

"

What happens if I can’t attend the Expo? Can I nominate a friend or family member?

We encourage everyone to register in person for the Irish Life Dublin Marathon. However, we know this isn’t always possible. If you cannot register in person, you must send someone to register for you. They will need a copy of your ID and signed written permission stating they can collect the pack on your behalf. They will also need their ID with them as well. Please note: an individual can only collect one race pack in addition to their own."

Yeah I have collected numbers for people in the past. A letter with your signature at the bottom is fine and a photocopy of your ID. Honestly, the number collection in Dublin is very smooth, have never had an issue.

Just with the first point, while it sounds easy, that type of process isnt that easy to administrate. Id also reckon that some of the money has already been used for expenses so they might not have the cash reserves to issue refunds and then get the money back in. On the back end it can be pretty complex. And then when something goes wrong, you need CS available to be able to speak to people etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

And the Dublin marathon gets €143.......lovely !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭Trampas

Valencia is €180 if you get in on the cancellation list. Not even sure how much is returned to person who cancels

Advertisement