Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The implications of the Pepper Finance (vulture fund mortgages) Court Ruling.

Options
  • 10-05-2023 3:53pm

This might have consequences going down the line. Basically Tullamore district court ruled in favour of a Personal Insolvency Arrangement (PIA) for a couple with a home loan of €290,000. The court ruled that a 25 year loan payment period with a fixed interest rate of 2.5% (to remain at that for the whole 25 years) could go ahead. The interest rate before this was 5% variable.

Not surprisingly Pepper Finance didn't like the outcome as they usually employ a variable rate with their customers as do a lot of other vulture funds. What probably sunk Peppers case IMO was their refusal in court to outline how much the loan its client had acquired had cost it and how much it was costing into the future. Apparently there are 32,000 distressed mortgages in the country currently, so no doubt others will be looking on with interest at all this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Good on them, but if they ever miss a payment Pepper will be all over them. Pepper probably paid less than 50% for the loan and they and the other banks don't want people finding out. Could you imagine if you were in arrears and looked for a write down but they said no only to give perrer a bigger write down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

How the hell do you go about getting a 25 year fixed rate of 2.5%? 😂

The best on the market before the hikes was a 7 year fixed of 1.9%!!!

• That's it isn't it? It's an incredible deal if you ask me. If this ruling is not overturned in the courts down the line, queue panic among these lenders, not that I would have much sympathy for them mind. Seems the rates they charge could hit 8% this year.

Could you imagine if you were in arrears and looked for a write down but they said no only to give perrer a bigger write down.

That happens all the time, and with good reason.

If you and your neighbour both had a mortgage with the same provider, and he lost his job so he fell behind on his mortgage, then 6 months later he goes to the bank and says "I'm struggling here, I need you to knock 70,000 off the mortgage", and they did it............What's the first thing you'd do (or stop doing) the following morning?

You'd stop paying the feckin mortgage, is what you'd do. If you multiply that by the 720,000 mortgages in the country, you're talking about the collapse of the entire finance industry in Ireland.

Borrowers get a loan of X.

Banks/mortgage providers are owed X.

They cannot get X, for whatever reason, so they sell the debt off for 60% (or whatever) of X. (better than nothing for the provider)

Company A pays 60% of X and they can now seek to recover as much of X as they can. (better than nothing for company A)

Borrower still owes X, minus whatever payments off the capital have been made.

Unless they do a deal with company A, and agree to pay off 75% of X over 20 years (better than nothing for the homeowner)

If the bank offered it to the borrower for 60% of what they owe, they'd be out of business in a month, simple as.

This way is better for everybody concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So if ya stop paying your mortgage and take on a ball of personal debt and maybe cut down your working hours after spending all the money you got on the loan you can tell your bank you need a PIA? If they reject it you can then go to court?

“Since 25 June 2021, all mortgages in arrears or the subject to an alternative payment arrangement can seek a court review of the rejection”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Whoever invited these parasites into this country should be given the rope

and to think Irish people work for these companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I know somebody who first got their mortgage through Irish Nationwide back in the tiger years. Irish Nationwide went bust and they were transferred to Irish bank resolution company. That was then liquidated and they were put on Nama’s books. Nama wrote to them saying they’d be selling a bulk of mortgages to a vulture fund so they wrote back to Nama making an offer of X amount to clear it off nama’s books just to see what they’d say. Nama wrote back saying they would only accept the full amount. The mortgage was then sold on and a company called shoreline took over then it went to Pepper.

They’ve always wondered if the offer they made to Nama was more than what the vulture fund paid. They did have arrears after the crash but that was cleared a long, long time ago. But the interest rate increases has them struggling again and they are unable to switch due to income level and dependents. €300 extra a month with more increases to come is tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Sounds like a great win for the mortgage holder.

If they offered more than NAMA got then did NAMA fail to get the best return for the taxpayer and were they obliged to do so?

If bank A fails and has a stack of loans, state agency NAMA take over bank and is obliged to get the best return for the taxpayer. Then Borrower A is able to raise 75% of their debit but NAMA say no. They then sell the debit for less that 60% to Pepper. The state has lost out on more than 15 %

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 PJ2022

They won't get far with an appeal if they don't disclose what was paid for the loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Nonsense these companies are a godsend they are the only ones trying to make sure these spongers actually pay their debts.

Good question and have no idea what the vulture fund paid. All I remember was seeing the letter saying that only the full amount would be accepted. They didn’t invite the borrower to contact them to negotiate further.

It would be interesting to know what Nama sold it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

As someone who used to work for a vulture fund I'll say this.

Ha Ha. F**k them.

• What's the point of whacking ever higher interest rates on these people who couldn't afford to pay the loan with a lower rate in the first place?

😂

Any insights into how much they were paying to take over a mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Honestly. No. I would doubt that anyone below upper management would have known.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I assume that @StrawbsM's mortgage along with say 999 others would have been sold as a package rather than individual lots. Some of these were performing fine whilst others were in arrears and unlikely to be fully repaid. The reason NAMA wouldn't offload any performing mortgages individually was purely because they were needed in order to shift the shite ones!

Wasn’t my mortgage but I get your point.

Sad thing is, those performing mortgages were stripped of the opportunity to fix their rates and have been paying higher than normal variable rates since they transferred. Not everyone was able to switch either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Any performing mortgages should/would have refinanced with a different bank as soon as their fixed rate ended surely

A pain in the hole no doubt, but a no brainer

• Advertisement

Because in this country we don't do what should actually be done, which is to repossess the house. So good luck to them, send a message that says if you don't pay your mortgage you'll end up getting hammered. Otherwise why should we not all just stop paying our mortgage tomorrow?

• I think we need to distinguish between the can't pays and won't pays. The latter do deserve to lose their houses IMO.

How do we decide who falls into which category? I could get a minimum wage job tomorrow and suddenly put myself into the can't pay category. Should I still get to keep my house for purposely making my mortgage unaffordable?

What about those who are paying but the income criteria doesn’t allow them to switch? Should the option to fix a rate have been there for them to avail of?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I know of a friend who fell on hard times, due to long-term illness and marital breakdown.

Their mortgage went to a vulture fund, who pursued them ruthlessly and unsympathetically.

Constant harassing phone calls, letters arriving EVERY FRIDAY (so that they would be stressed out all weekend!), reminding them that they were in arrears and that they were being dragged through the courts and would ultimately lose their home. Absolutely horrible treatment.

They went to MABS, who took over dealing with the vulture fund on their behalf, much to the vulture funds annoyance.

Eventually they found a way out of their situation, but during documentation exchanges etc., it transpired that their 250k mortgage (plus over 100k arrrears/interest lumped on by the vulture fund) their debt was sold.....for 60k.

So, ultimately, is this fraud by the vulture funds? If they buy a debt for say 100k, can they pursue someone for 400/500k legally?

If I bought a car for a hundred quid, crashed and claimed a grand to replace it, wouldn't I be done for insurance fraud?

Any Person working for these companies here, should be utterly fu(king ashamed of themselves, for inflicting this kind of misery and duress on people.

Valid point. Personally I think the court has set this particular mortgage at a stupid rate, as 2.5% for 25 years is something most mortgage holders would bite your arm off for, but is not available in the market. So its a bit strange for the court to mandate this non existent term on this particular case.

8%+ rates are obnoxious by the vulture funds. The court could have applied a market rate, rather than possibly the best mortgage rate in the country right now.

• I think trying that in reality would raise the red flag with a lender. Which would be fair enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So, ultimately, is this fraud by the vulture funds? If they buy a debt for say 100k, can they pursue someone for 400/500k legally?

If I bought a car for a hundred quid, crashed and claimed a grand to replace it, wouldn't I be done for insurance fraud?

How could it be fraud? The debt was sold by the original lender in a legal manner (I presume the possibility of sale was also written into the original mortgage contract signed by your friend).

Also bear in mind that these "vulture funds" bought a load of debts which will give them the net sum of nothing!

As for your comparioson to a cheap car crashed, presumably you are suggesting that the insurance claim be for a grand but you're forgetting that the maximum amount payable by the insurance company is the market value of the car (about €100). To try and claim for a grand wouldn't work because the insurance companby know the value of the car (regardless of what you insured it for). If you insured it for a million euro, you'd still only get €100 compensation back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭howiya

If my understanding is correct the court doesn't set the rate.

The rate is proposed by the personal insolvency practitioner (PIP) when preparing the personal insolvency arrangement (PIA). The lender rejected the PIA so the PIP can bring it to court for approval (or not). PIP proposing 2.5% fixed. According to Irish Times reporting Pepper proposed a write down of 10% from 290k to 280k and a variable rate of 3%. I don't think the court can apply a market rate.

Both plans put forward by the PIP and Pepper involved 25 years. At current rates the difference in the two plans is about €25 a month if I have my figures right. Pepper argued it was unfair but per the reporting don't appear to have backed that up. If I'm right on the calculations its not hard to see why the judge approved the plan proposed by the PIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So in your made up case the borrower somehow has 75% but is also in arrears as that's the only reason their loan is being discounted by any such amount.

Advertisement