Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meg 2 The Trench

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Watched the first one again at the weekend. Didn't know there was a new one coming. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Last one was a bit of unbelievable Jason Stratham fun so don't see why this one will be any different or any more believable.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ha ha. That's one of the best trailers I've ever seen 🤣

The first was brilliant fun, this looks like they've planted their tongues firmly in their cheeks and decided to go totally over the top, I'm sold!

Edit: just seen it's directed by Ben Wheatley. What?! Seriously?! Well, I'm even more sold now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The truly crazy part of that entire trailer was not seen: it's that it's directed by Ben Wheatley.

Who watched A Field in England and went, yes, hire that guy for our giant shark sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

These are based and big selling books and there are 7 in the Meg series.

Can’t beat of Jason Statham just jamming it up while kicking ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Holy ****, that's nuts, hadn't realised that at all. Makes me a lot more interested in it now. I'd have undoubtedly checked it out on some random quiet night - but now i'll be seeking it out to see what he's done with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd suspect the answer will be "nothing" mind you; while it's crazy he's directing it at all, it _has_ to be a swing to get future funding for <something> ... what I saw looked pretty rote middling CGI chaos. No sense Wheatley might have snuck anything subversive into it.

Does remind me that I have still yet to watch High Rise. One of those I keep meaning to source.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He has directed a pretty eclectic range of films to be fair but I get you.

His next directing jobs look to be

A film spin off from the TV series Ideal (with Johnny Vegas)

Freak Shift an action/thriller with people hunting down monsters, the cast possibly to include Alicia Vikander, Sasha Lane and Armie Hammer (or let's be honest probably not anymore) looks to be in pre-production for a long time.

Variety!

I thought High Rise was terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

I haven't seen the meg. Is it like Jaws except loads of CGI and is it really worth a view. The reviews on RT for example aren't great.

Ah look, it was never going to interest the Oscar voters but I thought it was really enjoyable

It's much more stupid than Jaws, and obviously it's treading the same ground, but it's nowhere near as stupid as you might imagine

I would definitely recommend it. I mean, it's Jason Statham and a giant shark, if you think that sounds good I'm confident you'd like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I went to see High Rise in the cinema. Dreadful shite. The premise sounded great but it was tedious slow moving tosh IMHO. Kill List and Free Fire are the only two of his movies I've seen. Watched Kill List for the second time recently and really enjoyed it. Free Fire was good too, wouldn't mind seeing that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Fast and Furious Jaws 😄

I thoroughly enjoyed High Rise, can't say the pacing bothered me. Have enjoyed everything he's made so far I think - only one I haven't seen is his remake of Rebecca (not counting his coupleof TV movie yolks). My fave of his is Sightseers I think though.

Sightseers is brilliant 🙂

High Rise didn't quite land for me. There were brilliant things in it, but overall it didn't all knit together as I'd have liked

Yeah, would agree with a lot of that - it wasn't perfect narratively, but the atmosphere of it alone was enough to keep me engaged throughout, and afterwards I was glad to have seen it.

Still no reviews that I can see...not a great sign...

Oh, didn't realise it was out tomorrow. You're right, not optimistic now

7% on rotten tomatoes with 28 reviews...my expectations were low but....yikes..

The more awful the better for something like this for me..

Jason Statham kicking and punching a prehistoric shark that has to be worth a watch one way or an other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Was thinking about going see this tomorrow. Think I'll give it a miss now.

Sounds like there's a lot of tedious stuff to get through before you get to that...

It's not something I'd pay to see in a cinema to be honest however as soon as it pops up on streaming I'll be the first in line with a few beers and pizza.

It's now up to 19% on rotten tomatoes I was hoping for more with Ben Wheatley involved.

I genuinely had a riot with the original it managed 46%..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

While this is about the least interested I have been in a Wheatley film, I think it's also worth saying that for a film like this I'm not convinced critic reviews in aggregate are much use - you likely want to wait and see what the audience reviews are like.

Critic rating is up to 23% now which is still by no means great, but at this rate it could be up to matching the first film by tomorrow 😁

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Haha, as it happens Anton Bitel reviewed this for Sight & Sound (I have found him reliable for horror and SF reviews) and describes it as "enjoyably over the top".

Saw today...is it good, no. Is it a lot of fun! Yes.

Tongue very much in cheek throughout. An absolute tonne of films put in a blender so yeah it's a bit of a mess script wise, could have been written by AI. Bonkers last section.

So many references to Jurassic park 1 and a couple to 2 as well. The wish version of LL Cool J was a low point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

There were so many negative reviews of this that I had no intention of ever seeing it but then i saw Mark Kermode's take and he quite liked it, remarking that the high volume of negative reviews amounted to a certain degree of bitterness. Anyway that was enough for me and so this evening off I went..........and Im really glad I did. I had an absolute blast watching this movie. Its so much fun and I was never bored for even one second. The snippy reviews are definitely unmerited, its a lot better than its made out to be. There'll be a third one for sure and if its even half as much fun as this then I for one, am in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well having just watched it I would say the bad reviews are well earned and then some.

I liked the first movie as a bit of dumb fun, this was just atrociously bad, I would almost say it's entirely unintentionally verging on "so bad its good". Just a complete mess of nonsensical plot, terrible acting, some horrible CGI, the works.

It constantly feels like you're watching an Asylum movie with more money thrown at it, but the same crew involved.

Maybe a 4/10 if you were watching with friends and laughing at it. A 3/10 as an actual movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The 3D version was fairly dire, the helicopter crash was about the only scene that it benefited from. It was a bit of mindless trash so adequate fodder for a switch off your brain cinematic trip. Did enjoy one of the characters robbing a corpse of its cash, was a nice touch.

To be determined if this or the fourth Expendables film will be the superior Statham vehicle.

Advertisement