Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding

Options
  • 10-05-2023 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I have a question. I have it in my head to reseed our silage ground. It never has been done before. I have got soil sampled and reports are back so just need to figure them out. My question is a friend of mine has a 3mtr minos disc harrow with a 100ltr APV air seeder mounted on it. He has a sprayer also and has a gps system. He loves his toys.. Is the reseeding something I could do myself. I have no experience of it but am willing to take the time to do it right. I could do with some guidance as to how to do it and also what are peoples views on reseeding with a disc harrow only. We have sucklers and am only doing it on a part time basis. Any recommendations on seed to be used. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

When it comes to reseeding it's better to leave it to someone that does it regular.

Would sow after a disc harrow on silage ground as it can leave it abit rough for mowers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Simple enough to do.

Spray to kill off weeds and old grasses

Dung, or slurry and lime. Maybe fertiliser if needed

Till the top of the soil some way to have a fine seed bed. Have done it before by letting cattle till the ground, a couple pull of a land leveller and a chain harrow

Roll to firm the soil

Spread the seed some way. Have done it lots with vicon at 1.25bags to the acre

Roll again

Pre emergence spray a few weeks later

Grass will grow at time in spite of you. The seed just needs contact with the soil

Arable silage is a good option for undersowing if you are going in the next 2 weeks and the grant on it will nearly pay for both lots of seed

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭happylad

Thanks for reply. I am hoping to do the silage ground that I have. Hoping to cut week around or before the bank holiday. Is that the fodder grant you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Silage ground spray off about a week before cutting. Straight in with slurry and disc twice, if fine enough you could shake seed

The arable falls under the protein cereal scheme and is about €290/ha. The plot has to be declared on the BISS application. Had heavy silage ground and went with oats and peas. Undersown. Went in at the bank holiday weekend. Was grazed twice in the wet weather in the spring and used as a bit sacrifice ground this spring to hold cattle out

Should be ok to get this in until maybe the end of the month

Advertisement