Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion boost timer switch clicking noise

Options
  • 10-05-2023 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I have a timeguard immersion boost switch. Fitted about 5 years ago.

Recently it has started making a clicking noise when used. The longer you put it on for, the faster it clicks. The led flashes in time with the clicking.

The boost timer replaced the original on/off switch. It is a basic setup in the hotpress. Standard tank with Wallace heater type. The heater was replaced about 18 months ago.

Despite ringing all the local electricians, nobody can come to look at it, all too busy on bigger jobs.

Question

is , is it the switch firstly, and is it a DIY job to replace it like for like?

And importantly, is it safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

If it's noising it probably needs replacing

It's common enough practice but electronic devices aren't allowed as isolators.It shouldn't be replacing the on/off switch

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Thanks. I replaced it like for like and has solved the issue.

There is also another isolator, on/off switch for the immersion situated in the hotpress, the kitchen one was replaced with the timer switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Just noticed I have the exact same issue. We normally use gas to heat up water but turned on today to see if this works and it's clicking away like mad towards the last 15 minutes.

Guess I will replace it and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JoDo

Just came across this post and it's exactly what ours is doing too. Just wondering did your water still heat when it was making the clicking noises. I am afraid to leave it on to see if it does heat water. Our gas boiler has decided to breakdown and when I tried immersion this happen. 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

Same issue, timer about 4 years old. They don't seem to last long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement