Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddles

Options
  • 10-05-2023 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

How do people choose a new saddle?

I've spotted a saddle for sale online but not sure if it's for me comfort-wise.

Mainly for club racing and club spins

Currently have a fizik antares and it's just getting a bit worn and I might change saddle and bar tape at same time

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just bought and tried loads over the years. The wider selle italia SLR with cutout are my go to now, or a charge spoon.

I've 5 bikes with 5 different saddles. 2 are basically the same though, and 2 I'm looking to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ok. Was looking at a prologo saddle.

I don't want to be buying them and trying to flog them if they aren't comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No way around it really with saddles. You gotta buy and try unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Find somewhere with a decent return policy and buy and try.

Selle-Italia super flow boost is my go-to, nice wide cutout

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

were you happy with the antares? if so, why mess with success?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

nothing wrong with it, its got a few scuffs and was looking to change. maybe change the colour of saddle along with new bar tape.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's what i meant - just get another antares if you know it works, rather than running the risk of getting a saddle which could cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Fiftyplus

I got a new Giant TCR Advanced in January with a Giant Fleet SL saddle which I wouldn't recommend - very hard and hasn't got any easier with use. A club colleague has had the same problem and he's a lot heavier than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’d advise this also. Saddles are not to be messed with once you find one that suits.

For a lad 98kgs the saddle that suits me best is a 127mm one with a slight channel ( Giant stock from a Propel). Can’t find anymore though sadly. Such a personal thing saddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

can go to a physical bike shop or try Aidan Hammond if you're relatively near Wicklow https://bikefittingireland.com/saddle-solutions/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I am on the lookout for a Charge Spoon and I have tried the online shops I know of in Ireland but to no avail.

Can anyone recommend somewhere online I might get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I tried this site previously and they don't deliver to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Ah, didn't realise that.. Do you not know anyone with a NI or UK address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

good few on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Fiftyplus

I replaced my Giant Fleet with a Specialized Romin from Specialized in Browns Hall. Month's trial and you can change it if you're not happy, even get a refund I was told by the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

How can a bike shop do this? Exchange saddles, giving a full refund? Sure they can sell the used saddles at vastly reduced prices to get rid of it but where's the money in that?

The money is in the increased business they get as a result of their offer. If they start losing money on the offer you can bet they'll close it.

Advertisement