Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for TVonics DTR-Z500HD ?

Options
  • 10-05-2023 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

An elderly relative has a TVonics DTR-Z500HD that has given up the ghost and I need to get her a replacement.

It is used to take in a terrestrial feed for Freeview (NI) and provide recording ability for those channels. She also has a Ferguson Arriva 250 box which provides Saorsat but no recording ability - did it need an external HDD to record?

What I can I get to replace the TVonics box? If I could get some sort of Combo box that would accept the Saorsat & Freeview and permit recording from both streams would be a bonus.

It is a must that whatever it is can be relatively easily controlled by an elderly person - so I'm not sure if the simplest thing is to just get her a new terrestrial box and forget about recording Saorsat - as I would probably need a combo box with OpenVix or something like that installed.

Any of the latter Ferguson boxes suitable?

WiFi connection would be needed to receive updates.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Would the Ferguson Ariva 255 be suitable? DVB/T2 capable so one can pick up Freeview HD. Generic box though so you would probably have to reorder the channels once stored. External drive also needed to record.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I was looking at their Ariva ATV Combo UHD HDR.

Do all their boxes need an external drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If its any help I have a Manhattan Freeview recording box that I have no problem in recommending. Great yoke but just to advise that you cant series link on the Saorview channels. While I havent looked at it in great detail I dont think the channel list can be changed / organised so you're looking at having the Irish channels up in the 800's. Other than that Im happy with it.

Post edited by muffler on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Is she living in some strange place as you mention Saorsat from a sat signal for Irish programs.

That Tvonics box i notice has an external power source and wondered if you tried another?

If the Ferguson box has 2 feeds you can view on one tuner and record on 2nd one with an externally powered hdd.

If box has only 1 feed recording channel takes control over your viewing one

Up north behind a mountain so can only get it that way.

Do ferguson not have an internal bay for hdd? Would prefer one with an internal bay as I could switch the hdd between them.

• Advertisement

You would have to check specs to see as space can be limited and wiring is there for a connection.

AX HD61 4K UHD Twin Satellite Tuner 2x DVB-S2X also can come as a combo unit and can have an internal hdd fitted.

That link has gone! Unavailable on Amazon too. :(

Just realised that an ethernet connection for updates would be difficult so a WiFi connection would be better.

• Combo unit
    • Suitable for Saorsat
    • Suitable for UK Freeview
    • Internal HDD
    • WiFi capable
    • Simple interface

Just rechecked that link and still showing on WOS but obviously no stock left.

Advertisement