Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick Leave entitlement

• 11-05-2023 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

I am due to have my second surgery this year and to date have 5 weeks taken due to surgery. The next surgery I will need 12 weeks off. The current sick leave policy is that I will have 92 calendar days full pay and 91 calendar days half pay in the one year. With 5 weeks already taken that leaves me running into half pay for time off to have and recover from my next surgery.

Does anyone know can you claim social welfare to make up the full wage when on half pay sick leave?

Also does a significant surgery come under critical illness protocol? thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

I'm assuming you may be in the public service sick leave scheme based on the arrangements you mentioned?

If that's the case, then you have to mandate your social welfare payments to your employer - they then 'top it up' to the level of full pay. I assume this continues into half pay as well, but am not as sure on that.

It looks like you could be a CIP candidate, and should check this with your local HR - it definitely covers at least some surgeries.

It may be useful to know that Income Protection insurance is usually available through public service unions as well - this bumps up sick pay quite a bit.

Advertisement