Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland's fake tan use problematic?

Options
  • 11-05-2023 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

An article in the Irish Times is suggesting Irish women shouldn't wear fake tan because it's like a costume that lets them dress up as another race without having to deal with racism.

I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've seen someone with fake tan so dark you could mistake them for another race. Mostly it's just very obvious they're white and wearing tan because they're more orange than brown. Is this really a serious problem?

www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/05/11/irish-womens-obsession-with-fake-tan-is-problematic/

Threadbans

tesla_newbie

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

When a white Irish woman dons fake tan for a night out, she is wearing a costume that allows her to experience a fleeting taste of a more exotic identity, with none of the obstacles people of colour face

😂😂😂

What is wrong with these people? Irish women probably shouldn't wear fake tan, as it looks crap. Racializing this is absurd, as none of them want to be another race, they just want more colour.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The writer couldn't look more stereotypical if she tried 🤡

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i do often wonder where are all these orange people from...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

If you go about life seeking to be offended you will invariably be able to find something that offends you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭GavPJ

The Auld Black North. :-) Or are you allowed say that anymore???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Utter garbage, but i find fake tan looks ridiculous on anyone i've no idea why people want to wear it. It never looks natural but each to their own but to call it racist is silly and just click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Ooooooh the next decade is gonna be wild for race relations on this wee island. Buckle up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Exactly.

People shouldn't wear fake tan because they look stupid wearing it.

All the girls in secondary schools covering themselves in the stuff. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

All well and good for her but she has never had to contend with a freckly bosom.

you know this is so true, i mean it's started already, alot of people already have a hatred for ukrainians due to the benefits they get, while we leave our homeless dying slowly on the street and the irish elderly without medical care. I can only see this feeling growing personally.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If someone posted that on boards I'd assume they were trolling.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

An obese woman with blue hair, you know exactly what I'm talking about. All she needed was a pair of hipster glasses and a bull ring nose piercing to complete the look.

Complete what look?

If I knew exactly what you were imagining in your head I wouldn't have asked.

even though i'd never use the stuff (fake tan), it's still better than sun beds though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

That's a completely different publication with completely different writers in a completely different market? Also from 7 years ago and 5 years ago respectively? Nobody in the photos of either article you linked to looks like the writer in the 4th post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I was wondering why they all looked orange down the pub. I just assumed they were Trump supporters. It is funny though we are obsessed with a tan in this country. All the young ones at work are all giggling at the thought of getting their "colour" when they head to Spain in a few weeks. Good luck to them though each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Oompa loompas might be offended by the fake tan wearing women.

Ducks should also be offended by the women walking around with their stupid looking lips after getting them pumped full of gloop.

• Administrators Posts: 53,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When I go on holidays and come home with a bit of a tan am I engaging in cultural appropriation?

Better pack lots of factor 50, just in case.

Knew all sorts of Irish girls in the 00's that loved their 'bronzer' and many who didn't like you calling it fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

caught a glimpse of the Ireland rugby ladies team whilst switching channels a while ago and it was all orange, cmon ladies embrace the pale pastieness one has been gifted from the creator

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Blue hair, mien like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle sticking her unwanted oar in? Let me think....

Oh there it is, the usual right on "progressive" looking for offence and desperately seeking the attention that she would otherwise desperately struggle to find. While trotting out all the banal buzzwords of her faith, no doubt bilingually; marginalised/inclusive/cultural appropriation(if Oompa Loompas are offended)/sisterhood/Latinx(only used by a tiny percentage of equally right on Hispanics in the US and utterly ridiculous here)/Eurocentric/privilege and so forth. One imagines with some conviction a mouthful of pronouns in play too.

Of course these eejits always suffer from a total lack of self awareness and an irony bypass, as she happily witters on about how society tells women what to think and how they should look while telling women what to think and how they should look. Likely silly hair colours, an excess of cake and dungarees.

Such types are momentarily amusing I grant you and media editors love them as they get clicks and people talking, but I would rather they just quietly bugger off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

She describes herself as Latinx which is a giveaway.

Is that hair colour natural? If not, what right does she think she has to appropriate a colour that isn’t native to her race?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We must assume that the writer was really struggling for some content and this was the swill she came up with.

I blame the editors for passing it for publication myself.

My wife has five siblings. Thanks to her parents genes, two of them are very fair and take the sun badly while four are dark haired, sallow skinned and take a deep tan by merely walking through a warm room.

Now fake tan could not hope to replicate the deep tan that my wife's sister gets, for example, but if my wife did choose to apply fake tan to resemble her sister's summer complexion, it would hardly make her are a racist, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

If the author finds aspects of Irish society problematic, she is free to return to Ecuador.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Jennifer O’Connell has just been appointed Opinion Editor. I suspect we’re going to see a lot more of these sub-New York Times-type identity politics pieces

Advertisement