Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland's fake tan use problematic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

*cello music*

Aaaall the orange people. Where do they all come from?

Aaaall the orange people. Where do they all belong?

AAAAH, LOOK AT AAALLL THE ORANGE PEOPLE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I dont drink anymore. If I did maybe I wouldnt smell the fake tan Its the fake tan. Stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

That reads like a Buzzfeed article from 2016, absolute cringe.

So do you believe she only wrote the article as bait and doesn’t really mean what she has said? Piss poor from the IT then if that’s how they operate now.

• Advertisement

Wont be too long before the authors dont even exists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have been wearing shorts outside over the last couple of days and realised my legs had not seen direct sun light for about 8 months. You could tell 😆

I whacked on a bit of tinted moisturizer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I'd rather people call this stuff what it is, cringe and ráiméis rather than it just pass through and become normalised for our media to run these weird anti Irish dog whistles. No one needs permission or to apologise for what they wear no matter how silly it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Back to the drawing board so since the natural reaction of a typical Irish person to being told that mimicking a suntan is stealing Latin culture is to laugh, not to get angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

I used to teach new arrivals to Ireland, and they all wondered "why are young Irish girls orange?

• Advertisement

Did anyone notice how white looking Donald Trump was last week when he was standing beside the Irish girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

Irish Times is a poor man's Guardian.

Such utter sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

"Progressive" or woke politics (which is anything but) has jumped the shark. For a few years there, they had lots of disaffected students, the neurodivergent, and unhappy obese women all on side, and could have made a political future for themselves by continuing to play the "we're all special together in this cruel world" schtick. However, like many a political movement over the years, they have overplayed their hand. This kind of "[insert random thing] is racist" stuff just makes them look like a joke, and their electorate are, in general, people who have been the butt of jokes all their lives, so making people laugh at them is going to scare them away. The writer of this piece is so deep into it ("gone full retard" the young people call it) that she doesn't realise that she has strayed far into joke territory. Progressive politics has had its day, and I predict, as the current generation grows up and gets jobs or becomes recluses, that it will shrink into an increasingly extreme fringe sect.

In 20 years, one will pass an elderly, obese women with pink hair, a nose ring, and a snarl in the street, and reminisce about those times when woke was a thing, and lots of people believed in it, a bit like when you see an old hippie now.

I've no idea, I don't know her, she could be taking the píss or she could be clinically stupid.

The article was published to enrage the Gammons though, get them clicking - revenue.

It's hardly new.

Yet, here you are with an off shoot thread on another platform "discussing" it.

🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Wouldn't even give this type of nonsense a thread, and in Current Affairs too? Barely an After Hours thread ffs. Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Sorry but what I think you mean there is a certain segment of progressive "politics" — I consider myself progresssive but more than comfortable with saying that I find the point being made in that article to be a fairly vacuous one.

Don't get me wrong, I think fake tan and make up generally are damaging from a self-esteem perspective (or at least indicative of a national self-esteem issue where many Irish women seem to have been conditioned to believe that their natural complexion is something to be disguised).

I'm going to go out on a mad limb here and say that most people, left leaning or otherwise, would probably have largely similar opinions to me on this article.

People write this stuff. It's a bit dumb. A plurality of views and people having weird takes on things is a reality of living on a planet of 8 billion other opinions. Read it and move on and don't fall into the traps constantly being set to rile everybody up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A white middle class, opinionated, sjw, butch lesbian, gender studies graduate, repeal jumper wearing, Irish Times reading, idiot who gets offended on other people's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

tbf the writer of the article is latina. Anyway, yes these type of nonsense is generally published so the majority of people can rage against "woke" nonsense, but at the same time plenty of people buy into this nonsense. The world is screwed either way

I'm not in the least riled up, I think it's hilarious.

You're wrong about progressive politics, there isn't a sensible wing of it any more. It's like being a little bit pregnant. Look at the commentary from the progressives on here, including yourself - you pretend to find the point vacuous, but them spend three paragraphs effectively defending it, and snidely attacking anyone who comments negatively on it. You all find it impossible to publicly agree with the story, because you see how idiotic it is, but you still all find it impossible to not defend it, or to hit out at those criticising it. You and another poster by accusing anyone laughing at it of being angered by it, and another poster pretending to not understand the mocking of the author.

Progressives are exactly like the communists of 40 years ago - they all agreed that the opposition should be eliminated, they just disagreed on how publicly they should say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah I saw since that she is Latina.

But still she's a typical

"middle class, opinionated, sjw, butch lesbian, gender studies graduate, repeal jumper wearing, Irish Times reading, idiot who gets offended on other people's behalf."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, it's a little odd to lecture us on people being sensible when you have somehow made the leap to 20th century communism and the apparent desire of progressives to "eliminate" the opposition.

And I can only assume you are riled up if you think my post was agreeing with the article. I can quite happily say that I find the points made in the article equating fake tan with forms of racism and cultural appropriation to be a poorly-conceived article. It's not "defending" it to say that I find fake tan and stuff like that problematic for the self esteem issue it seems to cause for Irish women that pale = ugly.

Your post is a demonstration of the very point I was getting at. You aren't just viewing the article as dumb, which it is, you've jumped into a rocketship straight into the stratosphere of conspiracies constructed by Marxists. And while you are soaring around up there getting mad at everything you see, the people back on the ground are quite able to just disagree with the point and move on.

I'm progressive, I disagree with the article. I don't know what else to tell you.

I can't believe you are ridiculing women who wear fake tan saying that it looks gross. Very mean .You're lucky that hate crime law isn't in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Someones choice of hair dye or shirt does not invalidate their opinion. Its the content of the opinion where the ridicule should lie not with what they choose to wear.

If you believe you are entitled to dismiss something purely on how the individual presents themselves you in fact undermine your own argument

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

What are you blathering on about. I gave my opinion on fake tan not on the individuals who choose to wear it.

This is nothing. Wait until the hate speech legislation comes in.

All these people who think they are victims, egged on by self loathing liberals, will have the law behind them.

No woman deserves to have their presenting colour called gross. Even if it is orange

Well, you could say the article is utterly ridiculous, rather than paragraphs of mealy-mouthed fence-sitting, but like I say, I find it, and all of you who think like the author does, hilarious.

Keep up the good fight comrade.

• Advertisement

Kind of ironic when the whole point of the article is to criticise people for wearing something.......

Advertisement