Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland's fake tan use problematic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

The absolute state of the Irish Times. What an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Whoopsiedaisydoodles. Irish Times got absolutely played for fools here.

Someone needs to have a serious word with whatever editor let this pass the smell test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's either an assassination attempt by a disgruntled employee or they are actually experimenting with AI. I mean I would find an AI more credible than most columnists, I mean we are not supposed to take their opinions as fact anyway, what difference if it's some AI? The writing will probably be better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Had been long concerned with the blatant decline of quality at the times - very ideologically tinted with the likes of Fintan O’Toole, Una Mullaly, Jennifer O’Connell and their finger wagging new-age Puritanism.

Ceased my subscription following Roisin Ingle’s horrible article gloating over child sex abuse. Feeling vindicated I made the right choice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DaSchmo

Well that's finally gone and done it - yesterday after seeing that tripe I finally unsubscribed, I'm not paying for this sort of rubbish. Turned out there was no unsubscribe button and I had to actually call them to cancel it. What was once a respectable "paper of record" has been on the slide for years, this really is rock bottom. So far. I'm done with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I myself have long been convinced that Una Mullaly is fact an early-prototype DARPA AI project let loose on Ireland.

"The ongoing cultural erasure of Dublin's northside continues with the loss of this vegan burrito and abortion art gallery to the unrelenting tide of duplex apartments"

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

Woke ideology is a gift to write with AI. The arguments don't have to be sane, factual, consistent or in any way evenhanded. That leaves a generous swathe of computing power to imagine the perfect blue haired whale to accompany the piece.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Well that is what the aim of it was., to stir up division .

Its not wokism or far right we need to be worried about, its chat bots and AI taking over and telling us what to think and who knows who is really behind it..

What appeared to be just a silly article about a silly subject is looking much nore insidious now.

Most likely some incel who rants about Jennifer O'Connell and the so called feminist /woke agenda .. Looks like she is being well set up alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

years ago p45.net got lots of fake articles into the Irish media, including one the Indo ran as front page news - and the lead article on the front page too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Tbf doesn’t say a lot about her credibility that she published such a nonsense article (blatant clickbait beneath a “paper of repute”) and didn’t do a single bit of due diligence on the source

Embarrassing really that she saw fit to include that in their paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

o Connell is a woke idiot of the highest order, she was an ultra easy mark for duping here as she laps up this kind of garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Oh dear......

This is hilarious!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Times has been going downhill for quite a while. The Independent, a contradiction in the very title. Now the IT is using AI to get clicks? I wouldn't wrap my fish and chips in either of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yes, because it looks bleedin' awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

Should that be no person so as not to fall foul of gender equality legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I expected more from the AI man.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

This is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Speaking as one of the dickheads that thanked that post, I think you are insulting the intelligence of those women who choose to style themselves in this way.

If this woman exists in real life, she has made a definitive choice of how she wishes to appear and of course wants to identify herself to a similar tribe of like minded people. Others like myself will also see this stereotype she has chosen to fit with, and avoid any unnecessary interaction with them.

She is of course perfectly entitled to have this look, but unless she is a complete and utter idiot, she knows full well what she represents when goes out with this style.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lol.

Freaking out at a chat bot.

Too funny. 🤣

Who's freaking out?

Most people are p1ssing their pants at this.

What was it your were saying about rage bait?

This is genuinely very funny!

• Advertisement

Sounds daft,don't know anything about it.

Hey,why don't you do one of your little shrug shoulders emojis to show you dont care and your above all this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

lol The AI rish Times

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You're right, given the target of these articles are the outrage seeking alt right types who descend on mass to be outraged at anything that reinforces their opinions about the left

In fact the more extreme the 'wokeness' in the article s the more outraged the alt right becomes and the more clicks they get

The AI is learning that the dumber and more provokative they get, the better metrics the content gets, which is interpreted as success so it's a death spiral of pandering to more and more extreme half baked wingnuts.

The algorithms have been doing it for years in ai curated social media feeds. The difference now is that the AI can produce it's own content as well as curate the feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Says the lad bladdering on about the "alt right".

The right is living in your head rent free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Not really. The article was just a complete misunderstanding of the ilunferlying cultural reasons some women choose to appear orange. The reason is that elements of Irish culture value the tanned white skin look but understand that many with the “Irish” skin tone do not react very well to sun., and not that the wish to emulate other ethnicities.

This is just embellishing what I said. There is no rhyme or reason to woke ideology, it's just warmed over classism with a large dollop of racism and bigotry thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Advertisement