Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,148 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You appear to believe that Rory Gallagher`s implication in his statement that police in both jurisdictions investigated allegations against him and found there was insufficient evidence to prosecute.

In light of the Sheila Maguire post do you now belive that is true and the Garda investigated what Nicola Gallagher says happened in a Clones carpark in 1999 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

I never said that. I do have personal experience of an alcoholic demonstrating very poor judgement when drinking. That didn't "make everything okay", just made some things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You tried to prevent people from fanning the flames by... opening up a thread on boards.ie?

Interesting approach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

No you don't know who was in Clones that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Yes, this is a discussion forum. Nice of you to notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I'll try again Charlie. (Last time mind) I responded to someone who said Shelia Maguire was a witness.

First I'll use a little story to help.

I walk into a bar and see your good self. Jayus Charlie I'm after seeing Tommy Joe knock seven shades of shite out of Paddy Joe. Shocking stuff. Now you Charlie are appalled at this. Knock your cranberry juice and march down to the Guards. Paddy Joe is after getting seven shades of shite knocked out of him by Tommy Joe. "You saw this Charlie?" "No. I heard it in the pub." "Thanks Charlie. There's the door."

Now. The information you provided was 100% accurate. You KNOW what happened. But you are not a witness.

This happened after an Ulster Championship match in Clones. (That was the only reason I made the Google reference)

Shelia Maguire was in Clones. Was in the vicinity of where this incident took place.

But was she in the car park and saw the assault take place. No.

Is she then a witness. No.

Does she know what happened. Yes.

Is her version correct. Yes.

Did Shelia Maguire say she was a witness. No.

That's why I asked the poster to read her Facebook post again.

She knows what happen. She saw the aftermath of what occured in the hospital. She never said she was a witness or in the carpark.

In that sense, if making it public, was an appeal to witnesses it was a very smart move. Even if it harms any possibility of a future court case, it will back her story up.

In this sense, the treatment of Shelia Maguire online is vital because it will either encourage or discourage others coming forward.

You're wasting your time there. Some posters don't want to admit that this is a complex process with many intricates.

The Guards can investigate something they knew nothing about till a few days ago. Fair play to them.

You`re now sounding like a lad who when asked to add 2,029 to 2,039 that when told by a teacher he got it wrong refused to accept that unless the teacher lined up 4,068 objects to prove he got it wrong.

It would be interesting to know the exact date of that assault on Nicola Gallagher in that car park in Clones. There must have been absolute mayhem in the little town of Clones that night when Rory Gallagher, (never the shy and retiring type), and his team mates, one of which was Stephen Maguire husband of Sheila Maguire, went looking for this mystery man who beat Gallagher`s girlfriend to a pulp resulting in friends having to bring her to Monaghan hospital.

Cop yourself on. You either believe Sheila Maguire or you do not, and her post makes it very clear who beat Nicola Gallagher to a pulp that night in Clones.

• Advertisement

Again. WTF. EVERYBODY knows who did it. Including Shelia Maguire. None of them are witnesses unless THEY ACUTALLY SAW IT.

I do believe Shelia Maguire. Because Shelia Maguire never said she was a witness. Never said she saw it. She said she believes Nicola. Was in Clones. Saw the aftermath in the hospital.

If you can me or quote her where I said she was lying or she has said anything different please produce it.

Again, not what I said or asked.

Your reply to a post was "You are assuming her story has never been heard. If police have been informed it undoubtedly has"

Rory Gallagher clearly implied in his statement that allegations had been made about him to both police authorities on this island. That they had been investigated, and not only had they been investigated by both, the findings of both were benificial in him being granted custody of the couples children in both jurisdictions.

Do you still believe her story has undoubtedly been heard here by An Garda Siochana, as Rory Gallager has implied and some here belived to be true ?

Rory Gallagher never mentions both authorities. His statement says relevant authorities.

PSNI are the only force to say they investigated and prepared files for the DDP.

Only mention of dual jurisdictions is in relation to the children.

You're just making things up now.

Even if the beating at 18 Years old was isolated, the victim , after bottling it up for so long is allowed to let it all out .

You make a lot of play as to what is legally required for a conviction so I assume you are aware of the term, "beyond a reasonable doubt"

Sheila Maguires post " Life moves on, college, work, etc but I always thought maybe now they are married things have changed, but not so." If as you say you believe Sheila Maguire, then for any reasonable fair minded person i cannot see how there can be any doubt as to who assaulted Nicola Gallagher in Clones in 1999.

Anything else is just semantics at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The small number of people, who apparently know nothing about Gallagher, who want to find different ways to defend him is pathetic. Strangely nobody claiming to be his friend is prepared to stand by him. Those who know about his behaviour over the years understand why.

So if I round up 25 people to say you beat someone but none of us saw it that's sits ok with you as evidence?

How has beyond reasonable doubt not worked in the two files sent to the DDP already?

This is actually embarrassing from you.

I never said he mentioned he was investigated in both jurisdictions.

I said he implied he was and and the result was instrumental in him gaining custody of the couples children in both jurisdictions. Something if you read back, was believed by some here which is now an implication that is demonstrably untrue

Team-mates, and especially those in intercounty teams, are very normally very defensive of each other regadless. I would not look at at as conclusive of any proof against him that none have stepped up to defend him, but I would find it somewahat telling that the wife of an intercounty team mate of his has now come forward to verify the assault in Clones.

The incident was never reported. They were back together a short time later went on to get married and have kids.

That is the information I have from two friends from college who are from the same area.

It could be 1,000,000 % bulls**t. That's the nature of second/third/forth hand information/gossip/hearsay.

• Advertisement

If, as you now say, you believe that Sheila Maguire is telling the truth and still believe there is any readonable doubt as to who beat Nicola Gallagher to a pulp in a car park in Clones then there is nothing much I or anyone else can do for you at this stage.

Good choice of a user name if you believe that a woman being assaulted by her then boyfriend is some kind of indication that it was not him because they went on to get married and have children.

It was him.

I have never said it wasn't. NEVER.

I said Shelia Maguire wasn't a witness. She wasn't. A witness is someone who is present for the actual event. She wasn't. Being in a bar inside while someone gets the shite beat outsidein a carpark does not make you a witness. Doesn't mean she doesn't know the truth. She does.

I know he did it. I wasn't in Clones that night and am from Galway does that make me a witness?

Somebody saying they know something does not prove an allegation beyond reasonable doubt. Law basics 101. If you mean beyond reasonable doubt in public opinion then whatever

Witness accounts/CCTV/forensics would be sought to pursue a case. Shelia Maguire saying she knows something to be true is no different to me a hundred of miles away on the night in question. It holds no weight.

I don't know where you got your schooling but I would look for a refund.

This has been a waste of a few hours and I apologise to the other posters that had to read this s***e.

If anything sums up internet back-to-the-wall vigorous debate it's the broad spectrum of options offered here!

Did I miss where Sheila Maguire said she was in a bar when this assault happened, or are you just assuming she was ?

Yet either way, after pages of bluster, you now know and have no doubts there was anyboby beat Nicola Gallagher to a pulp in a Clones car park other than Rory Gallagher!

You really do come across as a lad that would have an argument with a wall if you could not find somebody to have one with.

Not sure the "bar" reference was in and of itself important though. Surely the poster was highlighting that SM was not a witness to the incident. Where she actually was at the time is unimportant. Where she wasn't is what would undermine her testimony. And, with respect, it's fine on a discussion board where the burden of proof is zero to "have no doubt" something happened but we all know that a barrister would go through that claim like a dose of salts. It wouldn't make it to the third question.

You are trying to present the other poster as unreasonably argumentative but surely it's just pointing out that in an adversarial legal system you need to bring a bit more than "everyone knows" to the table.

That might explain why 20 years later this stuff is rumbling on and the court of public opinion has to be used. If things were so easy to prove they would've been proved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Is there a statute of limitations or can an assault which happened 24 years ago be investigated and possibly brought to trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

Cannot get over the coments from both sexes, today especially on twitter, that are on his side. There were witnesses. If she is a drunk...it's kind've irrelevant ....she was battered. If she was sober I think the negative reaction to her would have been the same. She is not looking for sympathy, she is merely outing him.

What are the time limits for different areas of law?

Personal Injury Claim – 2 years

Medical Negligence Claim – 2 years

Sexual Abuse – 6 years

Assault including sexual assault – 6 years

Professional Negligence – 6 years

• Breach of Contract – 6 years

But I think these can be challenged depending on circumstances.

• Advertisement

But she's not really outing him is she? Is all of this not old news?

The only significance I see to alcoholism is that it may have been responsible for the strange decision to inflict the hounds of social media on her children and family.

Advertisement