Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

reading a lot of posts from yesterday, so it’s old news and being an alcoholic so best stay quiet and in the dark. Take the punishment. Would you ever wake up to real life, in your opinion it’s all right to abuse, children and beat the wife etc and years afterwards stay quiet and get away with it. And being from the GAA family it’s alright. It was alright for the hurling star to con people out of money to fund his life style.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,148 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

As I said to the poster I have seen nothing from Sheila Maguire that states she was not a witness, have you or are you similar to your belief that allegations in both jurisdictions were investigated, as per Rory Gallagher`s implied statement ?

Her being battered in Clones was 24 years ago, so I don`t know where people are going with this legal argument re witnesses. The statute for assault as far as I know is 7 years. But even if it was not, I doubt any defence barrister would look forward to Sheila Maguire`s testimony and then attempt to convince a jury that there was any reasonable doubt that it was anybody other than Rory Gallagher that battered her to the state Nicola Gallagher describes in her post. Of the two barristers that would be involved, should that case ever come to court, I imagine the prosecution barrister would relish having Rory Gallagher giving evidence on that night much more so than his opposite number with Sheila Maguire.

I have no idea why Nicola Gallagher posted what she did. Be it because she wants an investigation, a prosecution or she wants custody of her kids, but I imagine it is at least some succour for her to be finally able to say what happened to her in this jurisdiction and that someone there on the night has come forward to back her up.

You may or may not think think it's alright for a GAA guy to con people out of money but I never commented on that.

All I have said is that all of this (to my knowledge) is old news. I have speculated that alcoholism may have been a factor in the putting of this on social media out of the blue years later.

I've been in a situation where you are dreading getting a message from someone in work because you can guess how drunk the person at the other end of the line was. Then they have the advantage when you challenge them that they don't remember it. So it's okay then. I'm simply speculating through that well-worn lens why this may have emerged as a news item again.

If you are going to insist that I think this means it is okay for a woman to be assaulted then fire away.

• Advertisement

On your last point, she probably posted that because she reported these matters before and clearly no prosecution ever happened. I can't see how putting stuff probably already investigated on social media will make any difference. Anger on discussion boards is fleeting and disloyal. It moves on to other targets quickly so it's of little long-term value to her.

I'm sorry. I don't believe that domestic violence is a subject area where I should look to score marks. Anyone with a modicum of decency would realise that.

Again you have no idea if she reported anything in relation to her being assaulted in Clones. From a reported reply by An Garda Siochana when asked they said they were aware of a media post and were now in contact with an individual in relation too it, I doubt if this isn`t the first they have heard of it.

But then you do have some strange ideas, from a woman being battered being old news, too finally having somebody come forward after her going public and verifying what she says as being of little long term value to her too now her being an alcoholic is somehow the reason she posted what she did.

For myself, I believe that anybody still attempting to imply that Rory Gallagher was not responsible for battering Nicola Gallagher to a pulp in Clones in 1999, or that he didn`t do similar in the intervening years, really needs to take time out from commentating on this and have a good long look at themselves.

Hard not to smile at the last sentence when you look at the first two!

Nobody implied he wasn't responsible. All I commented on was that it's easy say stuff but proof in a court of law in quite another matter. If it were easy she probably wouldn't have had to resort to social media a quarter of a century later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭Robson99

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Is it true that he has custody of their children ?

Nobody ?

Quite a few here believed his implication that he was investigated in both jurisdictions and was cleared of any wrong-doing, yourself included, but have since drifted away after Sheila Maguire`s post.

If it did ever come to court with both him and Sheila Maguire taking the stand, my money would be on Sheila Maguire being believed over him saying he knew nothing about it. Even if it never comes to court I doubt there are many now who do not know he is a wife beating scumbag.

If nothing else, Nicola Gallagher posting on social media may save some other woman from going through what she endured at his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I knew from the beginning who caused it.

Sheila Maguire didn't say she was in a bar. She didn't say she was in a carpark either. But yet she mentions she was in Clones and a hospital but leaves out the carpark. I wonder why?

I said she was in a bar because that where I was told she was from people that where there. You don't believe it fine.

No jury in the history of man will take the testimony of anyone who says "I wasn't there but I know what happen" a couple of thousand people could testify on Nicolas behalf if that's the case. Because the all know what happen. They all know who did it. But that is proof of nothing in a court of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

That's because she wouldn't listen to people and kept going back to him after he beat her several times.

Mod Edit

Warning issued

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The bigger question is why is there so many gombeens jumping to defend a woman beater and blame the woman. I ask this as a straight man with a missus and two kids. If you're wondering why you're single look no further than this. Tramps who treat women like that should be hung by their bollocks, anyone who thinks otherwise is no man. Cop yourselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

The logically answer is they do the exact same to their wife's as Rory Gallagher. Or, they want to do the exact same to their wife's.

Questions really need to be asked about the response of the management of Derry GAA in not removing or even wanting to remove Rory Gallagher as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hurlarious

Putting on my legal hat here and this may escalate. Rory Gallagher's ex-wife, Nicola Gallagher, made serious allegations of domestic abuse against him on social media.

The allegations were investigated by the police in Northern Ireland, but the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) decided not to prosecute due to insufficient evidence.

However, Nicola Gallagher's social media posts could potentially expose her to legal trouble for defamation if her allegations are found to be false and damaging to Rory Gallagher's reputation. The next steps may involve legal proceedings if Rory Gallagher decides to pursue a defamation case against his ex-wife to protect his reputation and seek damages for any harm caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Sorry now but I’ve seen first hand what women can do to ruin fellas by alleging domestic abuse, and they are always believed and pitied even when it is completely untrue. If there wasn’t evidence enough to prosecute then this man is not guilty of any crime and he does not deserve to be vilified. I think it’s an absolute disgrace and there are many women out there intent on revenge, even when no domestic violence ever occurred. There’s a whole industry behind this stuff and it is destroying lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh. Possibly.

But the guy is ruined thankfully. More in the sindo this morning. Poor woman. Hopefully all gaels now shun him. Its not about the adultery or alcoholism or drinking. He wouldnt be the first man to have those vices. Its the mental abuse and physical abuse that are horrific. No way back into derry for him now you would think. Nicola timed this well. I have no doubt it wasnt coincidence with the ulster final today.

People really need to read the room. Rory Gallagher won't be suing anyone. It's only defamatory if it isn't true.

110 percent. Extremely hard to actually prove too. Regardless of the CPS decision not to prosecute him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell that Rory Gallagher has not abused this lady.

He has not denied it.

It’s been an open secret for years. It’s just not a secret any more.

Go away now. There is one witness who has already spoken out. Id imagine more will follow. Thankfully regardless of outcome of legal proceedings we as people can choose to shun him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

A bit amazing he hasn't denied it. Police don't forward a case to the PPS unless there is something to forward.

If she's alcoholic, kids are deemed 'at risk' with her, so unless something that's very difficult to get a conviction for is proven, he was always going to win custody. The whole custody/kids thing is very much a red herring to the matter at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

The authorities mustn't have investigated it too much, as Sheila Maguire seems to be have assumed that the abuse stopped. So she mustn't have been contacted as a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

Why all these posts demanding he individually deny each accusation to the media? So that people on boards and Facebook can be satisfied? It's utterly ludicrous to claim lack of denial is an admission of guilt. Anyone can deny anything, words are cheap. Surely the actions of the DPP, the family courts and social services who were all fully armed with all the facts is worth more.

Everyone seems to have missed out on the fact the children are old enough to have had a say in who they reside with and this will have been taken into account during the custody hearing. They're also old enough to corroborate any claims of violence or erratic behaviour due to alcohol consumption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

If only all the energy on both sides of this could be harnessed to get the optimum solution for the children's welfare.

They have likely witnessed all sorts of dysfunctional behaviour between domestic abuse, alcohol abuse etc that their nuclear family life being spread all over Facebook, social media, Newspapers etc is hardly helping things.

The sad thing is this family is one of thousands like it and worse across the country.

Advertisement