Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher - A dismissed case that was dealt with and brought to attention? Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Plenty of people here involved with clubs and club grounds named after people with shady pasts. When does someone choose to walk away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

From a football perspective, he's a good coach.

And whether we like it or not, whenever he is next appointed it will get a lot of publicity for a short while. After that there isn't anything new to say so it is no longer a news item.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How can the GAA allow convicted criminals to play but then bar somebody who hasn't been convicted?

If he does get convicted, how can they ban him but not the others who were convicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

No idea, but I know that at club level people have been barred as soon as an allegation has been made with clubs being informed of the consequences if that baring is not immediately put in place.

With Gallagher not having even denied the allegations I do not see how the GAA could square that circle of him being allowed to become involved in any GAA related activaties, let alone management of a senior county football team.

• Advertisement

The DRA ruled that the Ulster Council "did not have the power to debar the claimant", the full verdict is linked here:

http://www.sportsdra.ie/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/24.02.26-Final-Decision.pdf

We can't really blame the GAA here. The Ulster Council made their arguments and fought the case.

What consequences? Informed by who?

A GAA official can only bar somebody based on GAA rules, regulations, bylaws, etc etc. They can't just make it up as they go along. So what consequences are you talking about?

And Gallagher doesn't have to deny a damn thing.

I disliked the man long before any of you even knew his name, but I dislike mobs making demands even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Just to remain objective and highlight information already in the thread because some posters think Gallagher didn’t respond. He did, through his solicitor. Here’s a snippet from a BBC report:
    In a statement responding to the allegations, Mr Gallagher, who is originally from County Fermanagh, said he had been "made aware of a social media post by my estranged wife Nicola Gallagher in which she has made a number of very serious allegations against me".

He went on to explain that their marriage broke down more than four years ago, adding: "Those closest to our family are well aware of the reasons for the breakdown of our marriage and the continued issues we have faced since that time."

He added: "Following long-running court proceedings in family courts in both jurisdictions, I was granted a full Residence Order in respect of our three young children on 17 February 2023. This outcome was recommended by social services."

Mr Gallagher also said: "Allegations against me have been investigated and dealt with by the relevant authorities."

In the statement, issued through a firm of solicitors, he added: "My focus over the past four years has been to protect our children from the ongoing turmoil in our family."

Mr Gallagher has asked for the privacy of their family to be respected at this time.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said it had "investigated a number of reported incidents and files have been submitted to the Public Prosecution Service".

The Public Prosecution Service (PPS) received two investigation files from the PSNI in January 2022 and June 2022.

It was determined there was not enough evidence to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction in relation to any individual, with the decisions made in accordance with the PPS' test for prosecution.

In a statement, Brian McAvoy, Ulster GAA chief executive, said: "While we cannot comment or make judgement on any specific allegation or allegations, Ulster GAA does not condone any form of domestic violence. 

"We are proud to have joined with White Ribbon NI in pledging to never commit, condone or remain silent about violence against women. 

"We encourage and support anyone who has been a victim of such abuse not to suffer in silence but to avail of the statutory and voluntary support services that are available in the community."

Now, there are many interpretations of that statement and disputes on Gallagher’s actions in the past. But he did respond to the allegations.

There are codes of conduct. I think a club could bar him based on this.

The code of conduct says that a member can be disciplined for breaking the law, which is why my question is why they would allow other criminals but not this criminal, especially when he hasn't been convicted of anything.

If they ban Gallagher then they need to ban John Kiely and Mickey Harte as well, giving character references is also a breach of the GAA code of conduct.

• Advertisement

He isn't banned. Just rightly shunned. Thankfully the court of opinion is strong when it comes to alleged wife beaters who don't deny the allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He doesn`t have to deny he is a wife beater, in fact he never has. But how many supporters of county teams or their sponsors, both of which keep teams and county boards afloat would want to be associated with someone like that, let alone senior county players ?

Legally and within the rules of the GAA he may be covered, but any county to employ him as a manager would rightly in my opinion be regarded as morally reprehensible by the rest of the association`s players supporters at all levels.

I`ve know him since early in his playing days and had never much time for him, and it wasn`t in just the last few years that I became aware of his wife beating reputation. Do you not find it a bit strange that even his own club that he played with has not come out in support of him ?

Why do you say on the one hand call him (Gallagher) a "criminal" but then reference that he hasn't been convicted (or even charged as far as I am aware)? Surely by definition a criminal has been convicted? It seems a strange looseness of language.

And, on the John Kiely one, are you quite sure that the GAA Code of Conduct debars members from giving character references? I'd be astonished if the GAA tried to exert control over an entirely private and personal decision such as this.

You might not like it but it's quite a jump from that to an implied breaking of the law because there are character references in courts all the time, many I am sure given by GAA members. You also have many GAA members in court defending accused people. It would be truly extraordinary if the GAA attempted to prescribe what happens in this realm.

But I am happy to be corrected if you can provide the relevant passage from the GAA's code of conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, but nowhere does he deny that the incidents happened.

Was the criminal threshold for punishment met? Clearly not.

Does that mean the incidents didn't happen? No.

Does that mean the incidents did happen? No.

So it comes down to who you believe, and the ambiguous nature of Gallagher's statement leads me to believe the woman. Others can reasonably believe differently.

My reading of that statement, his custody of the children and even the nature of the lady's own assault on somebody else recently leads me to believe that this was/is a very complex, difficult and maybe volatile situation.

I think his statement and its "ambiguity" (deliberate/advised?) probably took cognisance of that rather than worrying about a public opinion that would in reality not change one iota even if he did deny. People are a little disingenuous in pointing to his non-denial as they'd almost certainly not believe him anyway.

I think the idea of "believing" either party is a very reductive approach to a likely very difficult and situation. Put simply I'd say neither party would have much to be proud of if all this was aired. Plenty of people like that out there unfortunately. And many versions of their story too.

A person of my acquaintance was involved in a few very volatile relationships and she would bend your ear on it without invitation any time. But she did plenty of bad **** too which she recalls (or maybe was too drunk to actually recall in the first place) with less enthusiasm. This informs me somewhat when looking at this story despite a natural empathy with another woman.

No solicitor worth his/her salt would ever allow the accused to express innocence in a response/letter rather than point to a ruling in their favour. A self expression of innocence is worthless in contrast to a court's decision. Expressing innocence and being found guilty is the ultimate revelation of bad character. Achieving a court's custody ruling or likewise is what you brandish in such scenarios. For what its worth, he definitely didn't write that letter. For him to come out and deny and express innocence would only fan the flames and also allow interpretation from others. A verdict is a verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is the old question with no answer "when did you stop beating your wife?"

I doubt if any of us know the full story of Gallagher's relationship, it clearly was not my concept of a relationship but not necessarily an asymmetrical one. But I would not agree with the GAA taking a view that if you have a row with a woman that you are inevitably in the wrong, while if you beat the crap out of man then that is no problem, that is not a proper 21st century approach, but there is a sense of this around.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Charlo30

If any County Board does appoint Gallagher, it's going to cause a media sh*t storm and a lot of unwanted distraction. The optics would be terrible in the current climate. And ultimately I don't think it would be worth it.

You'd be surprised at how quickly the mob can move on. Back in the spring there were people here appalled that Kyle Hayes was picked for a League game by John Kiely and vowing to and encouraging others to abuse him early and often. That attention span petered out quickly. Same will happen here if it comes to that. That fabricated virtue-signalling anger always evaporates as people are forced to get on with their own lives.

Normally I’d agree. But I don’t think the Derry board would bat an eyelid given that they appointed an arch rival last time. That said there’s a smack of testing the waters by putting these stories in the media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Don't be ridiculous, how could a truthful character reference be in breach of anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Jizique

you said it, a media sh*t storm but little else, the media is increasingly irrelevant so they will hop on this story for a week until something else comes up

Regarding this bit: "Do you not find it a bit strange that even his own club that he played with has not come out in support of him ?"

Not really. I'd imagine any club would want to stay well out of what is a private legal matter.

Absolutely. No solicitor would allow him to refute and deny the allegations knowing that the possibility of witnesses and information coming to light at a later date was very high. Thus damaging him further and also having legal ramifications.

An expression of innocence and denial from the accused would have far more weight than a decision not to prosecute. The DPP or CPS have a seriously high bar when it comes to making those decisions and rightly so. Domestic violence statistics are available and the percentage of cases which end in prosecution is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Whatever about Derry and the Ulster tendency to circle the wagons and back their man, I cannot see any way that Kildare would seriously consider bringing him on board, it would be a PR disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dano650

Not all clubs bar people who have serious allegations against them. There is a club in Leinster that continued to play a player who is awaiting trial on a serious charge

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dano650

Did it really matter which club? Why the need to name a club when plenty of people from various clubs around the country are before the courts all the time?

• Advertisement

Advertisement