Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to keep SIM active

Options
  • 12-05-2023 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I'm not in Ireland but need to keep a mobile number active there over the next year. Most deals seem to insist on a monthly sub. Is there a Sim I can get that i can keep active by just topping it up every once in a while? What would be the cheapest option?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

48. You've three months' grace between topups before you lose the offer you're on (unless that got changed recently. There may be others, but I know that one works.

I had a legacy PAYG Vodafone number, too, which only required a top up of a fiver every 6 months or so to keep the number active, not sure if that's still available.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone PAYG is probably the better option @ €5 every 8 months, there's no cost to get the SIM delivered in Ireland and it works without adding credit.

48 is OK but not sure if it's possible to avoid their activation fee. 48 are vague about SIM expiry whereas Vodafone are definitive about how long a SIM stays active after top up.

48 roaming is hit & miss whereas Vodafone roaming is reliable. That's probably not an issue if you have a native SIM where you live but it's useful for Irish numbers to be able to call a roaming number for no extra cost, Vodafone probably has better roaming coverage than 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Tesco used to be the best, think it was 2 years but you had to actively use the phone once every 6 months (as in receive a call) but it might have changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Tesco mobile is 4 months now and then suspension. They include incoming text/call as roaming even if you don't use the SIM.

So every time you power off your phone or it looses signal Tesco mobile send a text about roaming and this is counted towards your fair usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I use Vodafone PAYG. €5 top up every 6 to 8 months us as cheap as you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 charliepsmith

Hi.. I know this i an old discussion. Where did you order the sim. All i can see online is sims that you have a recurring payment like €20 every month... Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Any of the Vodafone prepaid plans. Just top up by E5 instead of whatever plan you choose on vodafone.ie and it will keep it active for you

Advertisement