Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help I wrecked my table

Options
  • 12-05-2023 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to remove a bad water stain and I've made it a whole lot worse. I initially tried furniture polish, then a mix of vinegar and olive oil. I used a cloth and when that didn't work I tried a very fine steel wool. Now look what I've done 😭. Is there anything I can do or is it permanently wrecked. I think it's an oak veneer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, I think that's a laminate table and I think you're showing the MDF edge in the bottom photo, is that right?

In that case it's not possible to repair the mark as you appear to have worn through the top laminate and the brown mark appears to be the MDF wood underneath. If the table is of value to you you could look at painting it with a furniture paint, but you would need to prepare the surface fully before applying that paint.

If it's not an MDF/laminate then the above does not apply but you might need to sand the whole table-top down and then recoat it with a Danish oil or similar finish. I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

You are spot on, that's exactly what it is. I've managed to lighten the dark (mdf) patch using a tiny bit of bleach and a cotton bud. I'll give it another try and see if it makes a difference. I'm annoyed as I love the table. Thanks a million for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You're wecome. Wishing you luck.

Others on here might have other ideas too.

Advertisement