Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First bike

• 13-05-2023 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been previously discussed but can't find up-to-date info here. I'm 51, never had a bike and want to start biking. I'm aware of the theory test and IBT but want to ask what license am I entitled to? What restrictions etc?

Thanks for the replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Only get the A1 licence after passing the theory test afaik, so even if you have a car licence and have done that theory test, you need to do the motorcycle theory test too, unless things have changed, madness

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

You are entitled to an 'A' learner permit. This entitles you to ride any bike you like once you can get insurance for it. You have two years to do a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

do your IBT before falling in love with any particular bike. Your instructor will be able to advise you on what bike to get.

DO NOT BUY A BIKE BEFORE IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Would you also advise getting a secondhand one to learn on?

I already know what 300cc bike I want to get, but I've heard beginners will drop their bike, so thinking maybe getting something cheaper, and that I'll be less precious about, until I pass my test and am a better rider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ei9go

your car licence may allow you to ride a 50cc without doing anything if you want to see if want to continue. Look for AM on your licence. On licences pre 2006 I think

• Advertisement

Yeah, I have AM since 2002 as I used to have a moped back then. And I've rode 125s that I've rented abroad.

I know it's something I've always wanted to do, but never gotten around to. Almost got a bike in 2008, but then the crash happened and work circumstances changed.

I feel I'd be happy with a 300cc, and used to want a Hornet, so looking at a CB300R now. A couple of people have told me to just got the A, but I think I'll be happier with A2. Easier to convince my partner with the 300cc as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Absolutely, once you’ve done your ibt get a secondhand one. You might not drop it, but it’s better to have something that won’t cost you an arm and a leg to fix just in case you break it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 22 markm5ireland

Personally do IBT for full A licence, practice on your cheap smaller bike and then do a pretest and test on A bike (rented from instructor). It means if you fall in love and decide to get a bigger bike you don't need to redo IBT for A and get instructor to progress you. You could do A2 IBT and A2 test and then in the future do IBT for full A licence and the instructor can certify you and you apply then to get a full licence without doing a formal RSA driving test for the second time but easiest and cheapest is do IBT and test for full A licence at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ei9go

Have a look at a BMW G310 either R or GS. I bought one a few years ago to test the water and was very pleased with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Get an R1 as your first bike. Its simple really 1 is the first number so it should be your first bike.

you can work your way up to 1000's then.

Is the official online theory test subscription the best way of learning ahead of the test? Bit annoying that you have to choose and pay for a time frame.

https://dttstore.prometric.com/categories/motorcycle-theory-test/product/official-driver-theory-test-online-subscription-for-three-months/PROD026~PROD026

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

Op, what type of bike interests you, racer, bob, cruiser etc ?

Advertisement