Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is widows pension additional?

Options
  • 14-05-2023 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi

My Father gets a contributory pension but my mother gets a non contributory pension. My mother is unfortunately in the hospice and we will likely only be with us for another week or two.

My Father thinks that he will receive a widows pension when she passes. Is he correct that he will receive a widows pension in addition to his own contributory pension each week?

Im finding it confusing when I Google it buy I think he will be coming out with same amount each week for himself as he gets right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

No he won’t get a widows pension when your mother dies, so you’re right.

Your dad will get her non con pension for 6 weeks after she died then it will stop.

Was he getting Carers Allowance for looking after her? If he was then he’d still get the Carers for 12 weeks after she dies and then it will stop.

If he’s living alone then he can apply for the living alone increase, it’s €22.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sorry to hear about your Mother. Unfortunately I think your Father is mistaken. One of the conditions for Widow's Pension states "if you are entitled to a Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Contributory) Pension and a State Pension (Contributory), you will be paid whichever is the higher amount." And you Mother would have had to be on a Contributory Pension. Contact Citizens Advice for full details though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Even if his mother is getting a con pension his dad will still only get a con state pension for himself when she is dead.

There is no question about this it’s easily established on the citizens information website.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/death-related-benefits/social-welfare-payments-following-a-death/

His weekly income will be his state pension and depending on his age and who he is living with and his other income and savings he will possibly have:

1. living alone increase
    2. free tv licence and electricity allowance
    3. fuel allowance
    4. widow/widower tax credits if tax is applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gismo121

Sorry to hear about your mum

Post edited by gismo121 on

Advertisement